General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How do I know if my car has ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 PM
westindezkid
Unregistered
Default RE: How do I know if my car has ABS?

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

On hondapartsdeals.com, the non-ABS and ABS versions have differnt OEM part numbers (44305-S4K-A02 vs 44305-S4K-A52). That difference might due to the splines.

IMO, I don't think that the splines should make a difference in performance.

If the axle worked fine in reverse, then it should work fine in drive. How did you original axle break?
Well I posted that on another thread a week ago. I was basically exiting a parking lot but one of my tires hopped the curb and my car jerked and made a grinding noise. I was able to drive it home which was 2 miles away and saw I broke my axel. The axel broke right where the boot is on the side of the axel that goes into the engine, not the wheel side (sorry for the description). The axel that broke might of been a rebuilt one as well, because it wasn't a OEM axel. We'll finish working on the car tommorow. It was around 8pm here when we test drove the car and said we'll check out the problem tommorow.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Just for the sake of confusion, here's some terminology.

Splines are the features on each end of the axle to transmit the power. They fit into matching splines in the differential & in the hub.

Check to make sure the splines aren't damaged. Mostly the internal splines that are inside the tranny where the axle popped out.

The teeth around the big part of the outboard CV jointis the pulser ring. It's job is to trigger the magnetic wheel sensor for the ABS. Usually an ABS axle will fit OK onthe non-ABS version of the samecar because the pulser doesn't actually touch anything or interfere with anything. That is...as long as they didn't just give you a completely wrong axle.

Poor quality rebuilding is a completely different issue & it can happen on any version of the axles...

Old 08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

turn the key on, no need to strt the car , look at the instrument clutster and see if a yellow lite is there that says ABS ,,Assuming that the bulb works
\
but as other members have stated ,,, if you have ABS you can only install an axle for abs ,, but you can install an ABS axle on a non abs car

Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 AM
westindezkid
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Just for the sake of confusion, here's some terminology.

Splines are the features on each end of the axle to transmit the power. They fit into matching splines in the differential & in the hub.

Check to make sure the splines aren't damaged. Mostly the internal splines that are inside the tranny where the axle popped out.

The teeth around the big part of the outboard CV jointis the pulser ring. It's job is to trigger the magnetic wheel sensor for the ABS. Usually an ABS axle will fit OK onthe non-ABS version of the samecar because the pulser doesn't actually touch anything or interfere with anything. That is...as long as they didn't just give you a completely wrong axle.

Poor quality rebuilding is a completely different issue & it can happen on any version of the axles...
Hmmm, thanks for the info...and if my splines in the tranny are damaged am I completely SOL? I'm wondering wtf it could be.....atleast when the broken axel, my car moved forward and I was able to drive it from where I broke it to home. I think I might of reached 40 mph in that before it completely broke on me when I got home. As soon as I pulled into my neighborhood I just drove the car at idle and it ran fine but I made one final right turn and thats where I guess it gave out because it was jerk and make grinding noise. When we took it out, we saw grease everywhere and where the axel broke. With the new one, the car doesn't move at all. As soon as I put it in D, you hear it'll sound like the same sound you'd hear if your driving a manual and your struggling to get it in gear. As soon as that happend, I don't think more then 5 seconds went by before I just turned the car off. Hopefully if all else fails, I could return the axel I bought at Pep Boys and just get a mechanic to look at it and install it.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:08 AM

sounds like the axle is not all the way popped in the tranny ,,

Old 08-21-2007, 01:17 AM
westindezkid
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

sounds like the axle is not all the way popped in the tranny ,,
That might be the case. When I saw him slide in the axel, I didn't really see him force it in there. I asked him "is that all you do, just slide it there". Is there like a noticable pop or click you hear to know if it's popped in or not?

Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Yes, there is an audible click. If you looked on the end of the axle before you put it in the tranny you would have seen a retaining clip on the end of it. That ring compresses and pops into a channel in the tranny, creating the click. I understand the no-go part, but why did the engine rev high? If the car is revving on its own after a simple axle change you might have a bigger problem on your hands.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:56 AM
westindezkid
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: finch13

Yes, there is an audible click. If you looked on the end of the axle before you put it in the tranny you would have seen a retaining clip on the end of it. That ring compresses and pops into a channel in the tranny, creating the click. I understand the no-go part, but why did the engine rev high? If the car is revving on its own after a simple axle change you might have a bigger problem on your hands.
Oh, I apologize for giving that description earlier. The was just trying to get in gear I guess but I guess since it wasn't grasping onto the axel properly it was just rumbling. The car was at idle and I didn't hit the gas peddle at all. When I was in reverse it backed out ok, then I put my foot on the brake and shifted into "D" and waited to feel the transmission shift. As soon as it did thats where it started doing what I said it was doing earlier in posts minus the revving high.