General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I properly wash my new 2012 Accord LX-P?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking How do I properly wash my new 2012 Accord LX-P?

This may sound like a dumb question ... but how do you properly do it to protect the paint/coatings?

What cleaning solutions/soaps do you guys use?
What do you use to rinse/lather the soap around?
What do you use to dry?
Wax?

With my two older cars, I just use dishwashing detergent and an old tshirt to do the job...but I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to do it, and I sure as hell won't do that on the new car

Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 AM

It is in the manual.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Whatever you decide to use, do not use detergent on your car. It has degreasers in it that will discolor and fade black window rubber seals, and other plastics, could also damage/discolor the clearcoat. A friend used liquid detergent on her Mustang GT and it made a real mess. I only use Turtle Wax ZipWash/Wax liquid and cool water mixed in a bucket. Hose off the loose grit from the car, and using a soft wash mit, gently soap down the car, start at the top and work your way down....Shade is best for this. Rinse thoroughly with cool water. I then drive the car for a few miles to blow off the excess water. To dry, I use a synthetic chamois call "The Absorber". It is very soft, and will not scratch the clearcoat. Use a soft towel on the tires and wheels, not the chamois. Now If you decide to wax the car, use a product made for a clearcoat finish. I have used a product called TR3--Resin Glaze (Not a wax, and gives excellent results with ease), available at any auto supply store. Meguiars also makes very good detailing waxes. Since your car is new, I doubt it really even needs wax at this point. But if you decide to wax the car, I would practice a bit, maybe under the trunklid or inside the door jambs to avoid any swirlmarks. Only buff by hand using a very thick and soft terry towel. Only apply and buff off the wax in the shade or garage, otherwise the wax will dry very hard and quickly. It is a small car and can be done in an afternoon...Again, no power buffers, by hand only.

Last edited by bigpat; 12-10-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by bigpat
Whatever you decide to use, do not use detergent on your car. It has degreasers in it that will discolor and fade black window rubber seals, and other plastics, could also damage/discolor the clearcoat. A friend used liquid detergent on her Mustang GT and it made a real mess. I only use Turtle Wax ZipWash/Wax liquid and cool water mixed in a bucket. Hose off the loose grit from the car, and using a soft wash mit, gently soap down the car, start at the top and work your way down....Shade is best for this. Rinse thoroughly with cool water. I then drive the car for a few miles to blow off the excess water. To dry, I use a synthetic chamois call "The Absorber". It is very soft, and will not scratch the clearcoat. Use a soft towel on the tires and wheels, not the chamois. Now If you decide to wax the car, use a product made for a clearcoat finish. I have used a product called TR3--Resin Glaze (Not a wax, and gives excellent results with ease), available at any auto supply store. Meguiars also makes very good detailing waxes. Since your car is new, I doubt it really even needs wax at this point. But if you decide to wax the car, I would practice a bit, maybe under the trunklid or inside the door jambs to avoid any swirlmarks. Only buff by hand using a very thick and soft terry towel. Only apply and buff off the wax in the shade or garage, otherwise the wax will dry very hard and quickly. It is a small car and can be done in an afternoon...Again, no power buffers, by hand only.
Thanks for the great tips! I see you got most of your supplies from Amazon? (wonder if it'll be cheaper at local autozone/costco or something..)

This is the car wash product right?
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-79-Liquid-Wash/dp/B000AMBOX0
These products also appear to be highest rated on Amazon (Any experience with Mother's car wash product?):
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synthetic-Drying-Chamois-27/dp/B0000AY69V/ref=dp_cp_ob_auto_title_3
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X3002-Microfiber-Wash-Mitt/dp/B000RXKR6M/ref=dp_cp_ob_auto_title_1
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-05632-California-Gold-Wash/dp/B00068AJPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1323545879&sr=1-1

Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ctbear
This may sound like a dumb question ... but how do you properly do it to protect the paint/coatings?

What cleaning solutions/soaps do you guys use?
What do you use to rinse/lather the soap around?
What do you use to dry?
Wax?

With my two older cars, I just use dishwashing detergent and an old tshirt to do the job...but I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to do it, and I sure as hell won't do that on the new car
Everything you need should be at the local Walmart's auto section. You should get 4 things for basic cleaning:
1. Car wash solution that includes wax - Turtle wax is what I use
2. A sponge that is covered in a layer of soft cloth for washing
3. A bucket
4. An absorbing sheet for drying (forget their name, but they are usualy yellow and stored in a tube -- never let them sit outside the tube, they need a certain degree of moisture).

If you want extra protection for your car, buy some wax solution like "black magic" and applicator pads and follow the direction on the bottle. But I don't think they're worth it if your car isn't black.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Oh I replied before I see your last post... OP. That Absorber stuff is what I was thinking about :P

Those prices on Amazon are high. Definitely check the local Walmart/Costco. I'm a frequent Amazon shopper but there are things that are definitely more expensive on Amazon. I think I got the absorber at my Walmart for around $7 and a gallon of the turtlewax stuff for $5.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by accordhybridowner
Everything you need should be at the local Walmart's auto section. You should get 4 things for basic cleaning:
1. Car wash solution that includes wax - Turtle wax is what I use
2. A sponge that is covered in a layer of soft cloth for washing
3. A bucket
4. An absorbing sheet for drying (forget their name, but they are usualy yellow and stored in a tube -- never let them sit outside the tube, they need a certain degree of moisture).

If you want extra protection for your car, buy some wax solution like "black magic" and applicator pads and follow the direction on the bottle. But I don't think they're worth it if your car isn't black.
So this is what you use?

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-79-Liquid-Wash/dp/B000AMBOX0
Along with the others I linked above?

THanks for your input guys!

Last edited by ctbear; 12-10-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Almost A Senior Member

No, I don't buy from Amazon. I use the Turtle Wax Zip Car Wash solution from Kragen Auto Parts. The Absorber was from there as well. Tr-3 Resin Glaze from Autozone.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Picked up The Absorber for $9.50 and a gallon of the turtle zip wax/wash for $5 at Walmart. Damn that Absorber is pricy..but it's made in Japan...better be worth it lol.

Now, I just need to look for that Meguiar's Microfiber Wash Mitt locally somewhere... it seems to be highly rated on Amazon:

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X3002-Microfiber-Wash-Mitt/dp/B000RXKR6M/ref=dp_cp_ob_auto_title_1

Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 AM

first off back to the original post. who washes any car with dish soap? even if the paint is like mine (oxidized) i would never use dish soap on any vehicle no matter what it looked like.

you could do like state above or if you wanted to go to a car wash that you either do it yourself with their soaping brush and spray nozzle or the automatic one.

all of Meguiar's products are good but expensive! you can get any kind of car wash mitt or sponge and it will work just fine.

Quick Reply: How do I properly wash my new 2012 Accord LX-P?