General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Chicago
Unregistered
Default How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?

Greetings all! My old power antenna is broken and I want to replace it with a non-power one. How do you get the old antenna out? Is it a nightmare to do? Why did Honda put it in the A-pillar? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?

The 'best' way to do this is pay someone else. LOL
Under the drivers side of the dash you can find where the antenna lead runs to the radio; unplug it and tie and tape a strong piece of string to the co-ax lead about 4-5 foot or so.
then go up stairs and remove the screws holding the antenna plate; use the antenna up switch to run the antenna as far up as possible, then jerk it the rest of the way out, be careful not to lose the 'fishing' string. Then tie and tape the new manual antenna co-ax lead to the string and feed it back thru pulling lightlyfrom the inside and pushing from the outside, then shove the new antenna down the pillar and replace the retaining platescrews. Plug the antenna lead into the radio, dial up some tunes and pop the top on a cold one.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?

you also have to remove the holding clip from the motor so you can pull out the antenna mast as well... the motor is located above the fuse box ,, it is a little bit of a PITA to get to.. get a flash lite and a long screwdriver or long needle nose pliers,, pull the clip off ,,,.the coax cable is on the back of the radio ,, ,,it is easier to get to it from the rt side of the radio and pull it out.. in some rare cases you might have to remove the radio ......

than do what the Dude says <<<<<,,make sure to tie a string to the coax cable when pulling it out , both pieces will come out ,,, than tie it to the new antenna cable , there is an access hole on the left pillar make sure to nore where it is when you are pulling the old antenna out ,, just in case the string brakes or comes loose off the old antenna ....

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Default replacing antenna 1988 accord

i'm tackling same job...... it's a power antenna.... where's the power you have to disconnect?? did i miss that part of thread??

Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Here some pictures with some instructions regarding the motor.

Attached Thumbnails  How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?-power-antenna-motor-location.jpg    How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?-power-antenna-motor.jpg  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Pull out trunk liner trim on driver's side. You'll see the power antenna assy. An external nut and internal bolt hold the assy in place. Release electrical connector and antenna plug and remove. You may have to rig an adaptor to mate new antenna to old antenna co-ax plug. I had to rig a male/female adapter.

good luck

Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Pull out trunk liner trim on driver's side. You'll see the power antenna assy. An external nut and internal bolt hold the assy in place. Release electrical connector and antenna plug and remove. You may have to rig an adaptor to mate new antenna to old antenna co-ax plug. I had to rig a male/female adapter.

good luck
Ahh, TX. The 3rd gen's are on the drivers front pilar ("A" I think they call it)....not in the trunk. They put the dang motor-for the LX and LXi forward of the underdash fuse panel....nice

If it is an LXi with moon roof there is a connector for the drains right there as well......pray that thing never comes loose, talk about a royal pain.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Question antenna replace

thanks gang, for the info...... here goes.......

Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Default antenna replace

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST!!! ESPECIALLY YOU "DESERTHONDA", FOR TELLING ME ABOUT THE CLIP! thanks to you guys, the job is done!. btw, the car is a 1988 accord lx, owned by a 104 yo woman, never seen winter, 46k on it, made in USA. i get a kick out of the pop up headlights

Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, I like the third gen's (86-89) too

Quick Reply: How do you get a power antenna out- 88 Acccord?