General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to get a replacement remote?

Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 PM
Default How to get a replacement remote?

1998 Honda Accord LX.

My daughter's remote (to lock and unlock her car) is acting funny.
I replaced the battery and that made no difference.

What happens is that whenever she clicks "lock car", the car would beep like it locks, but then unlocks when she is walking away. Also, sometimes she isn't doing anything and if she walks close to the car, it will unlock ( when she has the remote in her purse).

I am kind of thinking I should open up the remote and clean the contacts and buttons.

If that doesn't work, how can I get a replacement remote with the same frequency? I am sure this is an aftermarket alarm.

I don't want to spend big money having someone else do the work. I just want to "exchange" the remote if possible.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Feel free to take the remote apart & check for obvious problems like stuck buttons.

But I'd be more likely to suspect problems within the car's locking controllers. It doesn't sound like the fault of the remote transmitter.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:57 PM

The locking controllers... are you talking about the actuators?
Maybe they need WD-40?

Next time my daughter comes home, I will do a few tests... like tell her to leave the remote in the house and lock the car using the button on the door.

Or take the remote apart and find a way to remove the "unlock" button and see if it stops. If it does stop unlocking when we walk away, then I know its the remote.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

just pull the remote battery.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 AM

Might try that and see if it unlocks by itself. If not, then I know its the remote.

My daughters remote is a Autopage XT-59 and is discontinued. Trying to find a replacement. Several places on the internet says the XT-33 is the replacement, but if I get this, I have to reprogram the car. Never did this kind of thing before.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
My daughters remote is a Autopage XT-59 and is discontinued...
OK, that's important to know. What I said was assuming it was the stock remote locks. I think the stock locking function is incorporated in the multiplexers.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:46 PM

The thing is, she says she locks the car with the remote and it beeps. Then when she is walking away (about 5 seconds later), the car beeps again and unlocks. She also tried locking the car using the switch on the driver door. Walk away, then it beeps and unlocks. I asked her to lock it using the door switch, and unlock it. She says that works, and there is no beep.

So I am assuming the remote unlock button may be weak/loose and is barely touching the switch inside- therefore sending a signal. The fact that the car beeps says the car is getting a signal to unlock. She did say she has to take the remote in the house, then walk back outside and lock the car using the lock switch on the driver door and it is fine.

When you say mutliplexers, are you saying I may not be able to program it with a replacement remote? From what I found the XT-33 "replaces" the XT 59, but I have to look under the dash and make sure the XT33 remote will work on RF305,310,405,410 controller box. I won't know until she brings the car to my house.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

All I meant was that when I originally answered, I thought it was the stock locking system. Aftermarket systems can be different in so many ways, so it's important to know that at the beginning. I didn't think to ask whether it was stock.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

If you find a new remote how to do any reprograming will also be all over Google.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Never mind...I found the problem. When I opened the remote, I push down on the unlock button (not the rubber button on the remote, but the "electronic button" inside), it did not click like the other three buttons. It was probably loose and activating the unlock intermittently.

So I just pulled the bad button off and moved the button that was used to open the trunk and put it in place of the unlock button.

Works fine now.