General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How hard to convert manual window to powered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Default How hard to convert manual window to powered?

So my manual window regulator on the driver side went out and I've got my window taped up, and it really bothers me. Went to a few junk yards and am unable to find any manual ones.

I can find manual and powered ones online, but the thing is, they are about the same price. Finding powered ones at autopartswarehouse.com for around 50 bucks.

Just curious how hard the conversion would be. The handles already have the little popouts for the switch, which may be for the lock switch, but I'm sure I could figure something out if it wouldn't be too hard to convert.

By the way it's a 94 Accord DX.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Prob. @10 years ago I converted the manual windows of my old 87' Integra to electric. I remember it taking the good part of a day since I had no idea what I was doing and I had a hard time working without seeing (the only access I had was through the rather small access cutouts in the inner door skin). I also remember taking the door off its hinges but can't remember why, and putting a door back on and aligning it by yourself can be a real pain.
I would think you may be much better off getting all the electric components from a you-pull-it junkyard since a lot of new replacement components often come without the wiring harness. Plus that is a great place to learn how it comes out/goes in (you don't mind scratching the paint or breaking some oh-so critical little plastic clip on a junk car).
The other thing to make sure before you even attempt the project is to make sure the power is already brought into the door of your car (come to think of it, that may have been the reason I had to take the door off, snaking wire through that kinked conduit is near impossible). If that connector is already in the door it will make it soooo much easier. You may be in better luck then I was thought since electric windows were getting to be an almost standard option by the 90’s, Honda may have made just 1 universal wiring harness.
It is a worthwhile project in my mind, especially if you like to put the windows down a lot. Good luck!