General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How much should I pay $$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Default How much should I pay $$$$$

Hello,

97 honda accord v6 103,000 miles.

So I need to get some work on my honda, and was wondering how much I can expect to pay. I was also wondering if I should go to a honda dealer or another repair shop for the work.

My list

1. 105 k service pack ( except timing belt which was replaced at 90 k)

2. Driver side window problems (sounds like motor works but not sure, window fell off track and i put a bolt to hold it for the winter)

3. Tachometer wont read properly (bounces sometimes but most of the time is at 0 rpm)

4. Check Engine light is on

5. Maintainece Required light is on

6. Removal of an old car alarm system (installed by previous owner, which sometimes makes my CD player not work)

I know if I get it all done at once it will save on labor. I would prefer to go to honda dealership for the quality, BUT im a semi-broke college student and the honda dealership can be pricey. So should I get the service pack by honda and the window by someone else? Or get it all done by Honda dealership? Or get it all done by some other auto shop.

I currently don't have a auto repair shop that i trust, so I would prefer to go with realiablity.

Thanks for the help. Travis

Old 04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How much should I pay $$$$$

You can always save a lot of money by doing some of this stuff yourself. I don't know what is done it the 105K service package. I'm guessing spark plugs, air filter, dist. cap and rotor. Call the dealership and find out what they do at 105K service. These maintenance items I listed are very simple to do if you have some basic tools. I don't know how easily the the spark plugs are accessed on a V6 engine. The 4 cylinder engine are easily done.

The 97 V6 gets its tach signal from the coil (I think). The coil is ~$80.

To save you some money, you should be as informed as possible when you go to a service department, so they don't rip you off.

You should stop by autozone and ask them to read your code. Your OBDII plug is behind the ash tray. Post it on here, and we give you a better idea about the check engine light problem and it may be a simple fix.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Does anyone know exactly what the 105 k service is???

I know its the timing belt, water pumps, spark plugs.

Other than that I'm unsure, I saw a post a couple weeks ago that listed them all but now can't seem to find it

Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Google "Honda Service Bulletin 98-081." Actually...I'll do it for you: http://hondaswap.com/accord/service-...8-081-a-70507/
Click the link shown there and it will take you to the service Bulletin.
The tachometer bounce is caused by a faulty ignition coil. It took me months to figure out that problem with my 95 V6.
If you print that Service Bulletin and bring it to a dealership, they should do a TON of services (including replacement of the coil) for free.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Pretty sure you need a valve adjustment at 105K also. Better check and bleed brakes.
Check struts shocks for leaks. Check CV axles/boots. Fuel filter should probably also be
replaced.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:40 PM

went to auto zone and the reason for the check engine was code: P0725 or speed sensor

Is this a fix it yourself job or am i better off taking for repair?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 PM

Print out the link I gave you. The dealer will fix it for free!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:07 PM

for these repairs do I have to have the warranty?

I bought the car used at 80,000 miles, will they still make these reapairs?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what your warranty covers.

Replacing the speed sensor isn't hard to do. Its held in by three bolts on top of the tranny and has an electrical connection on the top. There might not be a lot of room to get at the bolts, but you will have to judge for yourself.

If you go to the DIY section, open spoonhonda link on online manuals thread to get a 98-02 shop manual in their download thread. It is an .iso file, so you will have to burn it to a CD. That should give you a pretty good idea on what you have to do for the speed sensor and other maintenance items if you want to tackle them yourself.

Good Luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:39 PM

The warranty is for 150k miles or 14 years. it doesn't matter who you bought the car from or when you bought it. if it is within the 150k or 14 years, it is covered. If a dealer gives you the run around, ask them if you should callAmerican Hondaand ask them about it.

many of the parts are cheap and would be easy to DIY, but why waste your money?

Quick Reply: How much should I pay $$$$$