General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much should throttle plate be open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Default How much should throttle plate be open?

I recently took my throttle body off to clean it since I had really high idle. I ended up fixing the idle but along the way I messed with the screw that sets the plate open to a certain position. Today, I was about to check the screw to re-adjust it since my car has been 'jerking' in low speeds/same speed. When I checked, the screw wasnt there anymore, It fell out meaning the throttle plate is completely closed and I read online on other forums a few days back that it is NOT supposed to be comppletely closed. The IDLE screw was screwed out all the way so im guessing that was helping the intake suck in air. My question is, How much is the throttle plate supposed to be open? I found a screw to replace the one I lost but I just need to know how much to screw it in.

{98 accord lx}

Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is an idle speed setting procedure in the manual to use the bleeder screw to set idle speed. Here's what i would suggest:

1) Set air bypass bleed screw to middle of it's range (it could be there now if you haven't moved).
2) Disconnect IACV. It should be cleaned if not done already.
3) Adjust idle speed to spec (earlier models were 550 +/-50 rpm.
4) Reconnect idle speed. It should be 700+/-50 rpm.
5) If not, I would return to 3), but use idle bypass bleed screw to adjust idle.

PS, you need some thread lock on the idle adjust screw to prevent backoff.

good luck

Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks I will try this, and I know, Im just waiting on my neighbor to get home from work so I can borrow some, I got lucky finding a screw that fit!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM

Alright I actually need to clarify something,

>>> Is the throttle plate to be FULLY CLOSED or PARTIALLY OPEN.<<<

I am finding mixed answers on this question and I dont know whether to crack it open a little or leave it completely closed.

Last edited by jfidelh; 08-29-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

I "think" we might be talking about different screws? Anyway you can post pic's of the one you are having issues with?

Throttle stop vs. Idle adjustment

Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
PS, you need some thread lock on the idle adjust screw to prevent backoff.
TX-I know what you mean but for the OP, not on the threads. I use nail polish on the "head" of the screw, once I used spay paint, sparyed a liquid into the cap, then used a q-tip to move liquid paint to the top to the head of the screw....not the threads. From the facory they have some "yellow" stuff they use...You don't want to lock the threads, you want to be sure the "bolt" doesn't move...yes, kind of a fine line.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by poorman212
I "think" we might be talking about different screws? Anyway you can post pic's of the one you are having issues with?

Throttle stop vs. Idle adjustment

It's the throttle stop, not the idle screw. I am thinking not enough air is getting in due to me adjusting the throttle screw so when i punch the gas it leaps a bit as it if was being deprived of air. I am going to go open the plate a bit to see if the problem of jumping when I hit the gas persists.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:12 AM

My car is manual 5 Spd btw, I saw throttle bodies have extra funtions on automatics so just wanted to inform you guys.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

check the other thread

Throttle stop is supposed to just prevent the throttle from wedging stuck closed.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Supper Moderator

yes it should be open. I have always adjusted ALL my TB to where I'm at WOT my throttle plate is open all the way. easy way for a few more ponies...nothing big but little more pep in its step. On another note when you get your car tuned a tuner will do the same thing....

Quick Reply: How much should throttle plate be open?