General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How shifty is my dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Default How shifty is my dealer?

I'm growing increasingly concerned that my dealer's service department is shifty.

At the 30k service on my 2003 Accord LX V6, they changed the transmission fluid. After the fact, I realized the manual only calls for it to be changed at 120k/6years (normal) or 60k (severe).

It now has a little under 50k miles on it and I just took it to the dealer for an oil change and the wiper motor issue recall.

I figured it would need front pads, but according to them, it needs rotors, too. $545+tax. I'm thinking of doing this myself - A set of decent rotors and pads seems like it would cost me in the $200 neighborhood. (Any recommendations? I'm an exuberant everyday driver.)

They also told me that I need to have the timing belt package (including water pump and coolant) done for $1080 + tax because even though I'm not at 60k miles, I'm at 6 years. I get that it's a big job and I have no sense of whether that price is out of line or not. But I just checked the manual and it doesn't call for the timing belt replacement until 105k miles or 84 months/7 years (normal or severe schedule).

Are they just bolstering their workload and revenue by recommending or including particular services well ahead of the schedules in the manual?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what this dealer is telling me as well as opinions on the timing belt - i.e. is it really tempting fate to push the 7 years if the mileage is well under 105k? Was the transmission fluid change at 30k just a scam to do unnecessary work? (They also replaced rear pads at 30k, which struck me as early base on my experience with previous cars, but after reading around, it sounds fairly common on Accords of similar vintage.)

Thanks!
Brett

Old 07-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

changing the tranny fluid at 30k is a bit early .........
As for the t-belt i would replace it at around 80k if you do mostly city driving . if mostly hwy drive wait till 90k .........Also the cost is way too much money , t-belt kit ( package) which includes water pump, timing belt,coolant tensioner, outer belts.. should be around $ 750 using Honda parts

Pads at 30k is not out of normal but why do they want to replace rotors???

pads from dealer cost around 60 dollars , you can get a set of Brembo rotors for about 60-75 dollars each if not cheaper.. replacing rotors is real easy .........there is a write up in the DIY section

Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I agree, 30k on the tranny fluid is a bit early, but it's fine... I do mine about every 15k because it's easy and cheap.

You can check pad health by taking off the wheel and looking at the pad itself, I think the metal tabs starts squealing at 2mm. There is an inspection opening in the caliper. Brembo blank rotors are $45/ea from the Tire Rack for my car, so I'd expect them to be in the same range for yours. Hawk HPS pads are a bit better than OEM and cost a bit less online, the Tire Rack should carry them, but you can probably find them cheaper. I paid $57 shipped for front pads to get an idea.

Timing belt is not due for a while obviously, I don't even know why they would try and pull that one on you... most people would do some homework after being told they need to spend over a grand on a car with 30k miles. I got all of my Honda parts for a V6 timing belt job for $350 through an online dealer... I wouldn't pay more than $700 for the job when it needs to be done, even that price is a little high. What does the manual say for the age of the belt? Usually they say 105,000 miles or x amount of years. There's a cover over the belt you can take off if you want to inspect the belt yourself for any cracks or chunks missing.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Run away from that stealership.
As DH said, rotors are super easy to DIY (as long as your accord is not a 94-97 model). You should be able to get the rotors and pads for under $200.

Timing belt job is obviously not due yet. I would ask to talk to the service manager at the dealership and ask him why all this crap is necessary. Also ask them what the rotor thickness is and if they can be resurfaced (I bet they didn't even measure the thickness - they just saw dollar signs when you brought the car to them.)

Look for a Honda Certified Shop (NOT a dealer) for repairs you do not feel comfortable DIYing. They will always be cheaper than the dealership and the service quality will be better. I found one in Jackson, MS in the yellow pages. I get them to do stuff I do not have the tools for or don't feel comfortable doing on my own. They did my tbelt job for around $400 (including water pump and seals) on my 2000 LX 4cyl.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Does the brake pedal pulse when applied? If not, your rotors are probably fine. Slight pulsing and you may be able to get the rotors resurfaced/turned. I don't know how things are in Jersey, but around here most tire shops will do brake inspections for free. I'd be looking at getting a second opinion...

Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Hey Finch: Does the 2002 4 cyl Accord have the same inspection cover for the T-belt? I have only 84K on mine, but at the 7 year mark.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

On the F-series 4-cyl (up through 2002) the upper timing cover isn't too difficult to take off. There's no other "inspection" cover.

Couple bolts, & the upper cover splits from the lower cover right at the engine mount. But I think you do have to lift the valve cover a couple mm because it traps the top edge of the upper timing cover.