General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

hydro-lock scare

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:39 PM
liltuber
Unregistered
Default hydro-lock scare

The title pretty much says it all. Just on the way home a little bit ago I was driving through the rain and i was forced to drive through a rather large puddle as I drove up a hill. About 3 days ago i had to remove the brush gaurd from right under the front bumper/front engine area due to a rather stupid incident that really depresses me. Maybe I'll post the amazing occurance another time. Anyway back on topic, I hit the lake on the side of the road and i could hear the water hitting things that it normally doesn't hit(due to lack of brush guard) I got out of the ocean as quick as I could but then half way up the hill it sputtered! I pushed in the clutch and came to a stop. Before I rolled to a stop the engine died. i rolled back down the hill and onto a side road(it was a steep hill so i got enough of speed).
As i walked to the trunk to get my road side tools and then back to under the hood i swore i was about to poo a brick in my pants. I touched the cai filter and it was a little wet. I wasted no time and removed the filter b/c i figured if there was water in the intake their would be the most by the filter. Luckly the intake was bone dry! I wiggled some spark plug wires and got back in the car. I skeptically turned the key and my baby started right up! I let it sit for a bit and babied it home. I figured that some water got on the exhaust and maybe cooled it enough to stall the car? I dont think I warped anything b/c it does'nt run rough at all, but maybe thats cuz its still warm. if anyone has any ideas of something I should check over or anything else please let me know.
Thanks alot
shepp

Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: hydro-lock scare

you would have known if you hydrolocked you would have known it. You would have stalled the engine while you were in the "ocean"

Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

When you get water on the filter, that makes it a lot more restrictive to air flow. That can stall the engine just as if you stuffed a plug into the intake.

Hydro-lock means you actually got water into the cylinder. That should make a lot more noise... & your engine would suddenly stop with a big klunk right in the middle of the puddle.

A couple drops of water making it into the engine might make it sputter & cough, maybe stall, without any real damage. Lucky...

Old 08-30-2006, 12:03 AM
liltuber
Unregistered

Well it's good to know that it wasn't anything damaging. Luckily I've never had any experience with being in a car during hydro lock so i didnt know how fast it would kick in or what noises it would make. I know what the definition of it is(water in the cylinder).

I'm glad you appreciated my descriptive language yeuEmMaiMai.

I think your probably right about the small amount of water on the filter acting like a choke, jim. I was thinking about it later and i thought that if enough water got on the exhaust to cool it enough to cause the engine to stall/sputter it would of probably cracked something. IDK maybe just wandering thoughts. Thanks for the help though guys.
Shepp