General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrocarbon problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Hydrocarbon problem

Hi. I am asking about my car 87 Honda accord. It's a manual transmission and is the carbureted engine. It has about 290k miles on and runs pretty well considering the age. My problem is I can't pass emotions. I've failed three times this month. The first time I went I had failed only for hydrocarbons with everything else being very low The only problems I've had that I didn't fix myself was I had te carb rebuilt about 2 months ago because my engine would die after warming up. I assumed because it was being flooded. The mechanic that fixed it told me my oil was full of gas when they did the job so they changed it. Well I drove the Honda while it was misfiring for about two weeks before I got it fixed (the carb problem) which I believe is the problem but I'm not sure. The first time through emmitions I got 1300hc out of an allowed 220. So after that I got new plugs (nkg) and replaced the plug wires. Also the distributor and rotor. The Pcv filter and air filter along with both fuel filters. I've also used a Lucas oil and techron fuel system cleaner. Now my hc level after all of this is 900. So still bad. My question is what should I look into next? I've heard a lot of things but I don't want to do anything that isn't gunna help at this point. I'm gunna try some more fuel system cleaners and try to pass again. Oh and I've done a pretty good inspection on vaccum lines an found non bad. Also the only problem I could say it has besides this is when the car is running at idle it's a bit choppy it like to idle low (around 500) sometimes and will hesitate when I try to grab first gear sometimes. I hope this is enough info for some in put on what my best move is. If it matters it's an lx model 4 door. Thanks and please let me hear your opinion!

Last edited by Honda87; 03-22-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

How is your gas mileage?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How is your gas mileage?
Not as good as it used to be before the carb problem. Ive noticed I don't get as far as I used to especially in the city. I wouldn't say it's a huge change tho i just feel like it should be better

Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem is likely with the setup on the new carburetor.

I have never owned a car with a carburetor, so I can't give you specifics. Poorman212 will reply to this thread, because he owns these accords. You may want to search for his posts on a carb.

My best suggestion is to go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, click on the online shop manuals link. The honda tech link you will see has an 86 accord shop manual that should have some detailed instructions on checking the carb.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the info. This is my first carbuetated motor so I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with them. I was thinking it was something like that so I will look into what you said.
Anyone else with some info is appreciated. I'll post some updates with what I do next and the results of my next emissions test.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

And one other thing does anyone think the problem could be a buildup inside the motor or exhaust system due to me driving it misfiring?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Setting or adjusting a carb is not something I'd suggest for anyone that has never done it before. Trust me I got it wrong 100 times before I learned how to sneek up on it, and had to have someone that "knew what they were doing" teach me. I started out learning on rochester carbs (2 and 4 bbl's). Also doing this without an exhaust gas tester, it is more of a "sound of the engine" guess.

So now that I'm off that soapbox.

High HC could be caused by the carb being on the lean side.

But please note there are a number of other things that could cause this.

Check the timing. Get the timing light out, block off the proper vac line on the dist and check the timing.

I'd also pull and clean the egr valve.

Have you replaced the PCV? I see you cleaned the pcv filter but didn't see the actual valve listed?

I'm not against try to help you adjust the mixture on the carb, def need the manual PA suggested. I just would like to rule out/test the above first.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a Haynes manual for the car already which should have everything. And I did check the Pcv I felt for a vaccum in the line by plugging it with my finger however idk of that's the best check. It did vaccum fine. I'm still not 100% sure if it's good so I may just get a new one since they aren't expensive or hard to change. And I was thinking about doing that with the egr. It's just not a simple job so I was trying to put it off but it's probably time to do that. Is there a way to check if the egr is working with it still on? I've checked to see if the diaphragm (I think it's called that) inside the egr sticked or not and it didn't. It probably is very dirty tho

Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Please go to the sitcky at the top of this section - Common DIY threads. In there, there is a link to a post about Online Manuals. The one from spoonertuner is pretty good and will have more info than a hayne/chilton....plus more pictures....I like pictures

The PCV. When you plugged it off, valve side, you should have hear a click. Kind of hard to hear but still there. IMO - remove the hose from the top side of the valve. Use your fav lube (wd40, pb blaster, ect) on the base of the valve....give it a spin in the tube and then another spray. Then try to remove it. That tube can get pretty stiff. If the tube shatters, don't worry. Not that bad to replaced.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

That manual I referenced is very detailed, so it will be a helpful resource, plus it is free.

EDIT: Only the fuel injected accords have an ECU where you can check codes on the 3rd gen accords.

Last edited by PAhonda; 03-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Hydrocarbon problem