General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I guess I need to replace my brake master cylinder

Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Default I guess I need to replace my brake master cylinder

As the topic says. I guess I need to replace the frickin break master cylinder in my 95 Accord EX V6. [sm=headbang.gif]!
Sometimes the pedal goes to the floor on hot days. I seem to remember this problem a few times from last summer but I had forgotten about it till I drove it today and noticed it.
I just did a search and see that deserthonda has stated in every single case such as mine that it is pointless to bleed the brakes and I need to go ahead & replace the master cylinder.
One quick question: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=MASTER+POWER
Which one do I buy? Product No. 97628? or Product No. 97629?
They appear to be the same thing.

My wife is going to flip. She is so sick of spending money on her car! I know she is going to S*** a brick when I tell her we need to spend another $100 on it.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I guess I need to replace my brake master cylinder

They are the same thing.

One was made by Adler and I think that the other one is Denso. They are basically identical.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Which one is the "genuine Honda part"? Either/or? By the way, how can you tell? Just wonderin.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe both.I betHonda has 2 suppliers fora lot ofparts. It reduces their risk of a single supplier getting greedy or getting sloppy.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM

That's what I figured. Also, that way if one part is bunk or defective, the recall will only be for about 1/2 of the Honda's out there since only about 1/2 were built with that part. I wonder if one of the two is better than the other. I guess I'll go "recall huntin".

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM

This may be a pointless thing to bring up but I recall talk of a simple little o-ring going bad on those master cylinders and replacing that forced the system to hold pressure, might be for a different issue though...

Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Maybe I'll research it a little more, but from what I gathered DH always said "replace it." That would truly suck though if I spent $100 on a new master cylinder when all that was wrong was a lousy O ring!

Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I don't ever take shortcuts with brake hydraulics. Properly working brakes are the most important thing for an operating car.

The $100 you spend on a new cylinder will ensure that you or your wife will not get injured in an accident.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I had the MC go bad in my '95 Integra. I searched all around & couldn't find internal parts to rebuild it.

Besides...
One very common reason for it to go bad like this, is corrosion or scratching in the bore. New seals won't fix that, and if it's deepenough then honing won't fix it either.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Sounds good guys. I trust you. I'll spend the $100 to be certain. The install doesn't look to be too bad. Although the bleeding process takes more than one person. I'll likely go to my dad's and have him "assist" me (Haha, he will likely take over and it'll be more like I'm "assisting" him!)I don't think he reallylikes towork onbrakes, but since DH posted the "How To" instructions, I think we will be OK. It looks pretty straightforward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I guess I need to replace my brake master cylinder