General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have brake lights but no tail lights or dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 09:55 PM
Default I have brake lights but no tail lights or dash lights

So I just bought my 99 Honda Accord lx had some issues from the start most are fixed besides having no dash lights or tail lights but my brake lights work. I have replaced the turn signal handle on the left side of the steering wheel with that doing nothing. I don’t know where to start with this thing, can anyone help me out please

Old 06-28-2022, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of work did you do at the beginning?

Do the hazard lights work?

Old 06-28-2022, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
What kind of work did you do at the beginning?

Do the hazard lights work?
I replaced the turn signal switch that runs the headlights and dash lights, replaced the hazard switch and yea the hazards work

Old 06-28-2022, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Check the #10 fuse (7.5A) in the driver's side fuse box for the turn signals.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:02 PM

I’ve checked fuses and bulbs too and still nothing I have an appointment at a shop but can’t get my car in until the 6th of July

Old 06-28-2022, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 06-28-2022, 10:31 PM

Not since I moved across the country every tool outside of some sockets a drill and hammers are all at my shop in Vegas

Old 06-28-2022, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Although you mentioned fuses are good. Just to make sure you're aware, there are two interior fuse boxes (drivers side and passenger side).

If you haven't checked the passenger side fuses, then check Fuse No. 10 and 9 on that side.
Driver's side would be Fuse No. 8 to check.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Although it sounds more like a power issue since there is an issue with both the dash lights and taillights; for for the no dash lights it could also be caused by a blown driver's side multiplex control unit. If there was actually power, see this video to test or fix without replacing the driver's multiplex control unit (MCU). You will lose the dimmer function if you use this youtube fix. -- If is the MCU, you could try to find a used replacement too.

Old 06-28-2022, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

I can't find a common source for the turn signals and the other items. The hazard lights use the same relay and bulbs as the turn signals. My 95 accord had some turn signal issues where the actual hazard switch was the problem. At the time, I just replaced the switch with a new one. An older wiser me would have realized I could have saved some money and tried to disassemble the switch and clean the internal contacts. This may also be possible on the 98-02 accords and is worth a shot.

Quick Reply: I have brake lights but no tail lights or dash lights