General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have a Few Issues to Work Out, Looking for Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation I have a Few Issues to Work Out, Looking for Help

OK, So I recently had to purchase a new get around vehicle. So, I decided to pick up a "cheap" gas saver to get me around town and to work. I didn't need anything fancy. So, I found a decent '94 accord EX wagon.

It was in pretty decent shape, with the exception of a few cosmetic flaws. I can deal with those, since the price was right, and I didn't need anything fancy.

My issue now is trying to work out a list of priorities on what I need to fix, all while being cost minded and not go through a huge expense.

Here's a list of issues that I can see need repaired or checked out:

1- I have some sort of leak, which after wiping down all the oil/fluids under the car, I feel that there is transmission fluid leaking at the drivers side CV boot. (I think is what it is) Now, there could be some oil leaking from above it, but not entirely sure yet.

2- I have a CEL on, which seemed to have occurred once I cleaned oil up and unplugged the O2 sensor at the exhaust. (CEL code is blinking 41) I can live with it, if it's just the sensor.

3-Speedometer is intermittent. Along with that, the odometer doesn't work as well. I know, it seems to be an issue with the gen5 accords. I have that narrowed down to a bad electronic board in the gauge. Cruise works, and it seems to only malfunction when the vehicle is warm. It works when I leave for work in the AM and works when I drive home after a 10hr shift. In the evening is when it malfunctions most.

4-My rear brake seemed to get extremly hot tonight when I drove home from the school. This could be due to the ABS light always being on. I was told by the guy that I bought it from that the ABS Sensors needed cleaned or repaired..... not sure though.

So, those are my issues that I need to start with. I also think that it should get a timing belt replaced. It shows 160xxx miles on it, and I was told that the timing belt was replaced around 30K miles ago, but with the faulty odometer.... I'm not 100% sure I should trust that mileage.

So, what issue do you feel I should start with? Keep in mind that I need to watch my money, and just work these issues out a little at a time.

Input would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I have/can do some minor repairs here in my garage.

This is a 1994 Accord EX Wagon, with the 4cyl 2.2 V-Tec motor.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

1- You already cleaned the engine of oil, so try to tell us where on the engine block you have new oil. Check your oil and transmission fluid. See if you are losing either. Just to be thorough, check you brake fluid. Also remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold to make sure the radiator is filled with fluid.

2- If you got oil onto the outside of the O2 sensor, clean it off with some soap and water. Make sure you plugged in the sensor. You may want to check that you didn't get any oil in the electrical connector.

3- Sounds like you have a speedometer gauge problem. If you know how to solder, you can try to repair the solder joints on the back of the speedometer circuit board. You will have to remove the instrument cluster and remove the speedometer to access that board.

4- I would remove the rear caliper pins. Inspect the rubber boots for tears. Clean out the old grease from the caliper using some brake cleaner and a pipe cleaner. Lubricate them with silicone paste or caliper grease.

Since the ABS light is on, check the codes like you did for the check engine light. Tell us the blinks you get from the ABS light. ABS codes are a little different, because there is a main code and a sub code, so you will get codes like 1-2.

The timing belt is important item to change. If you don't DIY, that can be expensive. You should call around to get some quotes. There is a site called ericthecarguy that has a video on changing the 2.2L timing belt that you can buy for around ten dollars that is an excellent step by step procedure.

If you go to the common DIY thread, there is a link to the online shop manuals thread. In that thread, the honda-tech link has a 94 shop manual that you can download that will be very helpful on doing repairs on your car.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

#2 - code 41 is for the preheater of the sensor.

Got a multi-meter? Measure resistance between the 2 same-color (black?) wires from the sensor. Should be 10 to 40 ohms. Bad preheater usually goes to open-circuit.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
#2 - code 41 is for the preheater of the sensor.

Got a multi-meter? Measure resistance between the 2 same-color (black?) wires from the sensor. Should be 10 to 40 ohms. Bad preheater usually goes to open-circuit.

Yes, I have a multimeter, but I might need a little more explanation on how/what to do to check this.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
1- You already cleaned the engine of oil, so try to tell us where on the engine block you have new oil. Check your oil and transmission fluid. See if you are losing either. Just to be thorough, check you brake fluid. Also remove the radiator cap when the engine is cold to make sure the radiator is filled with fluid.

2- If you got oil onto the outside of the O2 sensor, clean it off with some soap and water. Make sure you plugged in the sensor. You may want to check that you didn't get any oil in the electrical connector.

3- Sounds like you have a speedometer gauge problem. If you know how to solder, you can try to repair the solder joints on the back of the speedometer circuit board. You will have to remove the instrument cluster and remove the speedometer to access that board.

4- I would remove the rear caliper pins. Inspect the rubber boots for tears. Clean out the old grease from the caliper using some brake cleaner and a pipe cleaner. Lubricate them with silicone paste or caliper grease.

Since the ABS light is on, check the codes like you did for the check engine light. Tell us the blinks you get from the ABS light. ABS codes are a little different, because there is a main code and a sub code, so you will get codes like 1-2.

The timing belt is important item to change. If you don't DIY, that can be expensive. You should call around to get some quotes. There is a site called ericthecarguy that has a video on changing the 2.2L timing belt that you can buy for around ten dollars that is an excellent step by step procedure.

If you go to the common DIY thread, there is a link to the online shop manuals thread. In that thread, the honda-tech link has a 94 shop manual that you can download that will be very helpful on doing repairs on your car.

OK, it seems that I'm losing transmission fluid from the drivers side CV boot. (The rubber part right beside the tranny)

I checked the ABS code tonight, it is showing me a code of 4-8. I'm not finding any data to tell me what that code means. I do know that I've looked at all the ABS fuses I could find and they're all in working order. Also, the ABS light will come on within a minute of driving, and when it does come on, I hear a faint click under or around the glovebox area.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

That is a problem with the rear sensor on the driver's side. You can check that the sensor is plugged in properly and there is no buildup of grease or dirt on the sensor pickup.

There is a resistance test you can try on the sensor electrical connector. It should be between 600 and 900 ohms.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

For the oxygen sensor, code 41...
Unplug the sensor & look at the wires going to the sensor (not the wires going to the car). Two of the wires are the same color, probably black. You want to measure resistance in ohms between those 2 wires. You'll be able to see which pins in the plug are connected to those.

Set the multi-meter to measure resistance. Touch the probes together as a check, the meter should read something close to zero.

Touch one probe to each of those 2 pins. It should read somewhere between 10 & 40 ohms. Depending on how your meter displays, that might be a couple different things.

10 ohm / 40 ohm

0.010 k-ohm / 0.040 k-ohm

Old 08-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
For the oxygen sensor, code 41...
Unplug the sensor & look at the wires going to the sensor (not the wires going to the car). Two of the wires are the same color, probably black. You want to measure resistance in ohms between those 2 wires. You'll be able to see which pins in the plug are connected to those.

Set the multi-meter to measure resistance. Touch the probes together as a check, the meter should read something close to zero.

Touch one probe to each of those 2 pins. It should read somewhere between 10 & 40 ohms. Depending on how your meter displays, that might be a couple different things.

10 ohm / 40 ohm

0.010 k-ohm / 0.040 k-ohm
OK, I tried this test, and I seem to get the meter to show me ZERO when I put each probe on each black pin.

Not sure if that's correct.....???

Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As a follow-up: I am certain that I'm leaking Tranny fluid. I bought a quart today to get me back to level, but I still can't seem to find where its coming from. It could very well be where the motor and tranny meet.

I have pictures that I can post if that will help.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Suggest cleaning it up then try to be sure of where it is coming from.....Could be the seal behind the trans converter or a number of other places.

Quick Reply: I have a Few Issues to Work Out, Looking for Help