General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need advice bad!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
hawaiirye
Unregistered
Default I need advice bad!!!!!!!

My wife and I have a 2002 honda accord ex v6. I love my car! I can't wait to get intake, exhaust and coil overs. I have many plans and I love to read the threads in this forum. Although now I have a problem..... My wife recently got our car serviced at a honda dealer for a routine maintenance and it was running fine but they told us we had a leak in our transaxle seal. So my wife and I discussed it and we got it fixed ($500w/maintenance). Now a week goes on and I keep smelling burnt oil or fluids. So I tell my wife to take the car in and have them look it over for free and they do........Now they tell me it's the rear main seal. I'm obviously hesitant on taking the car back there to get it fixed especially FOR 800 BUCKS!!!!!!!!! So the advice I need is a name of a good mechanic that knows about hondas and can work on the tranny. I live in Orange County but if I need to drive a little to save money and have a honest mechanic. I'll do so. PLEASE HELP. By the way, I grew up in Hawaii and Hondas are very popular out there so Hondas are kind of in my blood. That's why I bought one. Great car over all.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Default RE: I need advice bad!!!!!!!

I can't recommend anyone since I'm on the other coast, but I would definetly get a 2nd opinion. Talk to some friends or family and see if anyone has a mechanic they absolutley adore, preferably a honda guy. These seals aren't things that just go bad. It's not probable that you would bring in the car to get a transaxle seal replaced and then the rear main seal goes. Sure, it's possible, but the odds are just out there.

Either the problem was mis-diagnosed or they're fishing for money. What you could do is jack the car up and check to see if the oil filter is tight. It should be on there hand tight, and oil shouldn't be dripping from it. My friend did an oil change in his accord once and didn't tighten the filter well enough. It would only leak with the motor on (when the system had pressure) and would drip right on his exhaust piping and made a wonderful burning smell. If they recently changed your oil, this would be worth a check. Good luck man!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:58 AM

If you're in the O.C. go to Es motorsport in Gardena off the 91 on Artesia. My car is up there now they do great work.

Old 04-18-2006, 01:00 AM

As for Ming. Ricky is the best and he knows what's up. Tell them Deon sent you. GOOD LUCK

310 630 1999