General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need your opinion on this guys!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default I need your opinion on this guys!

Ok, The A/C on my 95 accord sedan 2.2 vtec doesnt blow cold air, (the compressor is working)
So i took the car to shop where the ac is checked look the price on the picture.

Attached Thumbnails I need your opinion on this guys!-ac.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by turrd
Ok, The A/C on my 95 accord sedan 2.2 vtec doesnt blow cold air, (the compressor is working)
So i took the car to shop where the ac is checked look the price on the picture.
So they are giving me two options, replace the evaporator at a cost of 557 dollars, or just run that liquid to stop the leak and dont change the evaporator at a cost of 300 something plus tax as u can see on the picture which i think is crap wtf.
According to them, the leak i have is The Evaporator, a very small leak, they put this weird machine in front of the vents and started to sound, which means(leak) both of the valves (high and Low pressure) are leaking too, these are the three places the system has a leak. What do u think guys? is this to much? i think it is way over priced. of course, i might be wrong.
Note: the AC system is running perfect besides this, they put cold on it and started blowing cold air as normal.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no need to quote your original post - its right above.

When in doubt, get a second shop that is reputable to look at the system and diagnose. If the estimates / scope of work agree, then proceed. Never hurts to get a second opinion.

Mines in the same boat, will be getting it looked at after I swap the window regulator.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I cant very well tell you if they are bsing you without looking at the car myself but i can tell you some of the pricing shown in the pic is ridiculous. You could get a price on everything they listed and see what the difference is and i agree that a second opinion wouldnt hurt.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by hurlingmerlin
no need to quote your original post - its right above.

When in doubt, get a second shop that is reputable to look at the system and diagnose. If the estimates / scope of work agree, then proceed. Never hurts to get a second opinion.

Mines in the same boat, will be getting it looked at after I swap the window regulator.
Yeah, I clicked the wrong button that's why it was quoted lol...like u guys said, I'm going today to another shop to se what they say...but I wanted your opinion too and I apreciate it

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by firefighter44
I cant very well tell you if they are bsing you without looking at the car myself but i can tell you some of the pricing shown in the pic is ridiculous. You could get a price on everything they listed and see what the difference is and i agree that a second opinion wouldnt hurt.
Yes, that's why I wanted your opinions. Because like u said the prices look high to me, I found the evaporator unit for 45 to 85 dollars range when they want to charge me 130 for the unit hmmm...I'm going to other shp today like u guys suggest me, lets see what they say

Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I would not use the stop leak stuff in my a/c system. IMO, it is more of a band-aid.

Get the second opinion.

Since your a/c is working properly, I wouldn't mess with it.

Once it starts not cooling enough, then you repair the entire a/c system. Get all the work done when you have the freon removed. If you repair it properly, you will have another 18 years of cold a/c.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The Schrader valves on mine leak too, with the blue plastic covers off. Pretty common and not a big deal because the plastic covers are o-ringed so they seal the leaks. Not ideal but they work.

So your A/C must blow at least cool air, right? Otherwise the pressure switch wouldn't allow the compressor to run. If that's the case then I'd be tempted to just have the freon topped up to see if the A/C makes it through the summer.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Almost A Senior Member

So we did an a/c service on an accord (2000 i think it was) just the other day at the shop i work at and found the issue was leaking schrader valves, we got a kit that included both valves and a removal tool for 5 BUCKS, i still didnt under stand why we picked up the kit when we already had the removal/installation tool but thats another story.

Long story short entire schrader valve kit 5 bucks, 2 individual schrader valves what like 2 bucks maybe

Looks to me like the pic posted earlier is showing the schrader valves at like 19 bucks a piece, are they made of gold?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by firefighter44
So we did an a/c service on an accord (2000 i think it was) just the other day at the shop i work at and found the issue was leaking schrader valves, we got a kit that included both valves and a removal tool for 5 BUCKS, i still didnt under stand why we picked up the kit when we already had the removal/installation tool but thats another story.

Long story short entire schrader valve kit 5 bucks, 2 individual schrader valves what like 2 bucks maybe

Looks to me like the pic posted earlier is showing the schrader valves at like 19 bucks a piece, are they made of gold?
Yes, 19 bucks, wtf.....i went yesterday to others shops, well, all of them charge for checking the ac system around 40 dollars, to find the leak, they say the system must be charged with freon wchich cost me 139, from there, they will find the leak, and then tell me how much is gonna cost me to repair, the good thing is that i dont have to pay the 139 again even if the system go empty. I think this is the best option i have, i am broke, but summer is coming and down here in florida it is irresistible, and the leader seats doesnt help.

Quick Reply: I need your opinion on this guys!