General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle PROBLEM, i found the real problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Default Idle PROBLEM, i found the real problem.

Befor i get started i read the post about puting codes,year,make and model. I can see the reason why. I pulled some codes and the description but heres the codes anyway. For the D4light i got 1-2-7-8,and for the CEL i got 14 wich is IACV. Hey guys im new to the forum but not new to accords. Ive been trying for a while now to figure out what the hell is going on with my idle, it happens in park and in nuetral. i replaced the IACV but still no luck. i dont seem to have any vacum leaks but i could go over it a little more. i also have a code for the shift conrtol silenoid and/or shift lock silenoid. i replaced the one on the bottom but it still acts the same(some sliping while driving, and no power after it starts screwing up) ill floor it and nothing happens just slow rev and now get up. i think both problems might be conflicting with each other, but im not sure. i replaced shift silenoid "b" the one on the bottom, but still no change. i really need some help befor this issue gets to bad. it also might be an internal problem with the tranny who knows. but if anyone has any info on this i would be very appreciative. oh and sorry its a 92 lx. i know that hondas of that year mainly preludes and accords have flapper valves, wich could be the prob but again i dont know. my freind with a 92 prelude had the exact same problem but not so often. please help if you can.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Default RE: Tranny and Idle problem.

ive gotten many hits but no replys. ill give it a few days since im new and its only been a few hours. hopefully someone can help.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

whats the actual problem with the car? you said idle? is it idleing too low? does it shake?

if it shakes then you probably have a bad motor mount (prolly back)

idles too low? probably the fast idle valve......but if you just turn the idle screw counterclockwise a little it will smooth that out.

tranny? it slips alot? hows the fluid level? what color is the fluid? what does it smell like?

does the light blink on the dash? maybe a vss.....

Old 07-30-2006, 04:23 AM

no its a pulsating idle. up down up down. also when in drive my intake is sucking like crazy. the tranny, some times my car wont start at all and the d4 light blinks. but ive pulled the code and replaced one of the silenoids, it could be the other one but im not sure. ive been having the problem for a while. and the tranny only slips when i get no power that i mentioned. when it screws up ill be at a stop light and when i let off the brake the car will jerk. but theres no shake. and all motor mounts are bad, probably why i have oil leaks every where. all gaskets need to be replaced. if worse comes to worst ill just keep patching it and get a motor from the junk yard and rebuild it then do a swap.

Old 07-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when you had the solenoid out did you notice any metal filing in the metal screen ?? did youclean the screen >??

remove both solenoids, clean the metal screens,, if there are metal filings, tranny is coming apart, if fiber filing it is the clutches wearing ...Anyho, blow in to the solenoid opening in the tranny ,you need comressed air ......Also make sure the connectors going to solenoid are not loose,, get a small needle nose plier and gently twist the male connectors in the plugs to make a snugger fit .

As for the idle surging,what is idle set at?? have you checked for any vacc leaks ??

Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 PM

when i removed the silenoid i saw very little shavings/filings. a while back i had 2 trany coolant lines bust and all the fluid came out and i hit the gas at a stop light and well no go. i didnt know until then, i stoped and left the car overnight. did the repairs and ever since ive had the slippage so i think that probably has something to do with it cuz i know if metal gets into those silenoids theyll short out. as for the idle when im in drive it idles at 1200 rpm wich is way to high i should be at 800 or 1000 i do believe. but i just cant figure it out, like i said ive checked for vacc leaks but i could go over it some more. but i just dont know why it would be throwing those codes and not letting me start the car. im so lost.!! lol

Old 07-31-2006, 12:37 AM

as for the tranny, it sounds to me like it's starting in 2nd gear. My girlfriends accord did this and I think it was a solenoid problem, but she decided to get rid of the accord for a jeep.

after replacing the idle air control valve, are you still getting a code? I'd pull the manifold off and just clean everything out if you have the time. It probably pays to clean the EGR passages and the idle passages etc. Just good house keeping if you plan on keeping the car. And it will probably help diagnose the idle problem.

And double check for those vac leaks! They will scew idling up!

Old 07-31-2006, 12:44 AM

i havent checked for the code in a while but ive only gotten it once. and ive pulled the codes for the solenoids many times so im still not sure its that. a little while ago i checked some of the vac lines and some had no vac either way, through the hose or the connection for them. im gonna take 2or 3 days off this week to see what i can do with the manifold, thats a good idea and i appreciate it. im almost fed up with it and about to just drive it off a cliff but i love it so much i just wanna fix it. thanks for that man really. ill keep trying everything i can and ill keep everyone updated on whats going on. thanks again for that.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:25 PM

ok everyone, i fugured it out. thank god!!! its the transmision control module, the brains of the tranny. and for the IAC its the one under the freakin manifold. so now all i have to do is go get the parts. anyone have a tranny cpu i can match my numbers to for sale. send me a message if you have one, with the numbers. thanks for everyones help, and if anyone has this problem send em to this post. thanks again.

sincerly,JOE.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Congrats on getting it fixed! Thanks for posting what you did to repair the issue that helps immensly... We have a new sponsor that seems to have some good prices called Honda parts Warehouse take a look down the right hand side of the page and look at the sponsors link give them a shot looks like some great prices.

Quick Reply: Idle PROBLEM, i found the real problem.