General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Idle RPM fluctuates

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 AM
Default Idle RPM fluctuates

This is kind of bizaare but when I start my car (cold) and then shift into neutral, the rpms rise and fall continuously. But, after the car has been driven a bit and is warm, the problem doesnt occur. I'm thinking maybe a vacuum problem because my cruise control also has a problem- it won't engage unless I press the "set" switch and then the "accel" switch. Shouldnt it engage by just pushing the "set" switch? And then, after it does engage, about 5 mph bleed off until the car accelerates back up to the speed i had originally selected. Maybe the 2 problems are not related at all but it sounds kinda fishy.

91' accord 2 door lx

Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Idle RPM fluctuates

the 2 problems are not related ,, on the idle surge,, chk the inner part of the fast idle valve,, remove the 2 phillip screws at top of fast idle valve , get a big screwdriver and tighten the inner valve ..

as for the cruise loosing a bit of speed try to make sure cable is adjusted properly

if you set the cruise at 40 mph and push the set switch, ceuise control should stay at 40 or there about a slight drop might be normal in some models
cruise will not raise the speed till you push the accell button

Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Cold idle surge; be sure the block is full of coolant and burp the block thru the 12mm bleed screw at the T-stat housing.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm going to flush and fill my coolant system since I need a new t-stat anyway so I'll try that 1st. If that doesn't work I'll try Desert's suggestion. I should also have noted that the car had been sitting for a while.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:35 PM

That fixed the cruise control problem; just needed to tighten the cable- thanks desert

Old 10-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

what about the idle surge ??

Old 10-06-2006, 08:48 PM

The idle surge seems to have disapperaed at least for the time being. I checked the fast idle valve and its working properly...i also did a flush and fill because I had a bad t-stat. Hopefully it wont return!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 PM

I have a 98 acorn v6 that rpms fluctuate between 1000 to 2000 at idle and no dtc code .I replaced the iac valve at about 90k it now has 160k. I disconnected connector from the iac valve and it did the same except at a slower pace. Is it possible it can be another bad iac valve or maybe a tp sensor.? It just got back from the tranny shop(overhauled) Should I kept running it to see if I get code

Last edited by Pablosandoval; 05-18-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

If it's surging while the IACV is unplugged, then look for other stuff first.
Vacuum leaks?
Air in cooling system (really)??
Throttlebody bore & throttle plate dirty?
Accelerator cable has to go slack, so throttle can close completely?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM

Will do.thanks

Quick Reply: Idle RPM fluctuates