General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ignition switch replacement 89 accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default ignition switch replacement 89 accord

Hi All.
First all I'd just like to say this is a great forum.
Now on to my question. I have a 1989 Honda Accord LX. 2.0,Auto Trans. Carbed. I'm needing to change out the whole ignition switch. I have the main harness that I can see where it disconnects from, But there is a little harness with 2 wires one is Black and the other is Blue with a White stripe that is on the bottom of the switch assembly(held on by 1 phillips head screw). This little harness is not connected to anything and I cannot find where it plugs into. Where does it hook up at? The car starts now with a screwdriver. If I go ahead and change out the whole assembly, will that little harness need to be hooked up? Also what is the purpose of that little harness? Thank You All in advance and have a great day.. John ( new to Honda's)

Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 PM

I have no idea, 89 is outside of my knowledge zone.

I would suggest purchasing the service manual for this car. Where you can get that without honda bending you over im not sure maybe Poorman212 can help you with that.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the "light" for the key switch.....what was it connected to to begin with?

Again. I can go look at one of mine but I'm pretty sure this is the power/ground for the light "around" the key cyl.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman:
I have no idea what it was connected to under the dash. On the ignition switch it is connected to the bottom of the the ignition switch housing. It is held on by one phillips head screw. It only has 2 wires in the little harness that runs from it. One black wire and one blue wire with a white stripe. I do have the other little harness that goes to the little light for the switch, but it is not on the ignition switch itself, like the harness I'm looking to find out where it hooks to. It is taped to the main switch harness, close to where it connects under the dash towards the fuse panel. I hope this makes sense.
Just trying to get the little Honda right so my wife can drive it back and forth to work and save some money on gas. I can't complain about the little car. I paid $700.00 for it and runs pretty good for having 298K on it. Body and interior are in excellent condition.
Thank You for the help. John

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, just got in from looking at the 89 LX 4 dr auto in the driveway.

I see the two wires you are talking about, on mine those two are joined - further down the harness - with two other wires. So the connector they plug into is a six pin connector - only four wires used. I might be able to get a pic....kind of "close" under there.

EDIT: and now looking at the wire diagrams.......that connector then goes to the key light timer......one of the black boxes attached to the back side of the lower panel under the column.

Attached Thumbnails ignition switch replacement 89 accord-3rd-gen-key-light-timer.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 07-19-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman:
Thank You for your help and the picture. I looked on the dash panel and I can see where the box mounts that the wires connect to,But the box is gone. So I guess it can wait to be replaced. I have other things to fix on the car yet, but that appears to be low priority right now.
I love this forum!!!! Alot of GREAT information on here, especially for me.. John

Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cool....hope the best for you.

Again if we can help just let us know.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Poorman:
Well as a matter of fact. I discovered a problem yesterday with the carb.
I was idling the car yesterday and checking everything out on it. After I shut it off I noticed that gas was being dumped through it. Any Ideas on what that might be? I looked at the sight glass and it appeared to be at the 1/2 way mark on the sight glass on it. I did a an adjustment on the idle. But I don't think that should have caused it to dump the gas.
If I restart the car right away it fires right up, but if I wait a minute or two I have it give it gas and crank it for about 15 seconds for it to start.
Again this forum is GREAT and the people too.. John

Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure on the float level/sight glass. It can be hard to see it.

Also when it is running (warm so choke is open) look in the throat of the carb and be sure there are "no drips" of gas going into it.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 AM

how do you replace the whole ignition in a 89 honda accord?

Quick Reply: ignition switch replacement 89 accord