General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I'm having starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So basically, put the starter and everything back on the car and try starting the car. What noise would I be looking for if any? I'll try this in the morning now and try responding asap with the results.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You don't have to re-install the starter to check the blk/wht wire.

However, you will need to isolate the main bat wire to the starter to allow reconnection of the battery. Then check the starter signal blk/wht wire w/ help from someone to turn key to start as you check for 12V.

good luck

Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So connect the main batteries red(+) wire to the car but not the black(-) wire and then just connect that blk/wht wire to the starter. Then start the car? When the car is starting, how do I check for a 12v?

Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No you will need to connect + and - battery cables to the battery. However before doing this, the starter main heavy cable which is disconnected (starter not installed), and must be wrapped w/ insulating material to prevent a short when you connect the battery terminals.

Then you can check the small blk/wht wire as previously outlined.

good luck

Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Are there any household items I can use as insulators? And do I just wrap the insulation on the metal part or the whole cable? Isn't the black plastic on the wire and around the bolt area insulation enough? Also, what blk/wht wire? I can't seem to find that wire, unless you're talking about that small wire on the starter I pulled out. And how would I know if it's working or not, do I connect a multimeter to the cables? If so, what settings would I put it at and what numbers should I be getting?

Last edited by CurryBomb; 06-10-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just wanted to update, I bought a new main relay for the car since the starter relay was with it and put it on my car and the problem still persisted. I got my brother to jumpstart my car, and the whirring noise began happening in my starter again without the key even in the ignition.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what to do. Disconnect the battery. Unbolt that small wire to the starter. Then reconnect the battery.

You just need to keep that blk/wht wire away from metal to insulate it. Put a sock over the wire.

Let us know if the starter still makes a noise with that small wire disconnected.

If you want to test that small wire, set the volt meter to volts. You may have to select a number on the V scale, so pick the next highest number to 12 (usually 20). Test your battery voltage to verify your meter is working. Then use the red meter lead on the small wire. The black metal lead on the negative battery post. Tell us the voltage reading your meter.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So I removed the small wire, put a sock on it and jumpstarted the car. The car still made the same whirring noise.

edit: I'm gonna go test the voltage on the wire.

Last edited by CurryBomb; 06-11-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so I got my brother to jumpstart the car again while I tested the wire. I set my multimeter to the V area and chose 20 on it. When I put the red wire on the small wire and the black on the negative battery. It came out 0 imgur.com/uM4avFG This was which slots I put my wires in to test it. I also put the red wire in the other slot and the multimeter was still on 20V and I got a number between 4 and 7. While this happened, the starter stopped whirring and it the meter reading was at 0 in either red slot.

edit, I checked it without the ignition key in the car, I'll check it with the key in the car soon.

Last edited by CurryBomb; 06-11-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The V with the key in the ignition is between 13-14, when the key wasn't in it, it was 0, but that's when the whirring stopped. When the starter was whirring, the wire was 4-7 on the meter without the key in ignition.

I have doublechecked the numbers also. When the small wire is checked without the key in the ignition, it's at a 0, all I hear is a click. When the key is turned, the small wire shows 13-14 on the meter. If I put the small wire back in it's slot and turn the car on, it makes the whirring noise again. Also, I just want to remind you that the very first time this happened, smoke was visible around my starter. I'm saying this cause the people are AutoZone said something had to be burned if you saw smoke. My friend recommended me replacing the starter since I have warranty on it and that would solve the problem.

Last edited by CurryBomb; 06-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm having starter problems