General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm An Idiot!! Can You Help?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 AM
Default I'm An Idiot!! Can You Help?!

Okay, first off, let me say that I'm a dumbutt*!! I locked my keys in my trunk. What's worse, I only have one set and both the trunk-pop lever and the back seat are locked. See, I got a car stolen about a year ago, and I'm paranoid about getting robbed again. So, I figure that if someone breaks in, maybe I can keep them away from my tools in the trunk by locking all of the access points. Great idea, right?!

Well, right now, it seems like a decidedly stupid idea. I showed them!! I even kept my ownself* outta my trunk. Well, anyway, I was rummaging around in the trunk and when I was finished, I noticed that I'd shut the trunk lid but left the keys inside. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I need to get into the trunk without messing anything up. I was hoping that someone could help.

The good news is that the car itself is unlocked. So, if there's a way to get in via the passenger compartment, at least I can get in there. Is it possible to take the VIN to the dealer and have another key cut, or will I have to actually remove one of the lock cylinders to get a new one?

I do have one idea. Maybe someone can shed some light. I removed the trim panel that sits on the bottom of the door where the carpet meets the sheet metal. I can peel the carpet back a bit, and when I look at the assembly that holds the levers for the trunk lid and the fuel door I can see a couple of bolts. Does anybody think that if I removed those two bolts that I can loosen the assembly enough to get at the cable for the trunk lid pop to manually trigger it? It'll be an arduous task, but it beats breaking in or paying a locksmith to open it.

Any takers on this one? I'd appreciate any info you can give. I'm up sh*t creek on this one so far. Lucky my back-up car is up and running.

Thanks for your help.
Jon

Old 01-12-2007, 04:01 AM
Default RE: I'm An Idiot!! Can You Help?!

Sorry, people. Forgot to mention that it's a 1994 Accord EX.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Is there a pass-thru at the rear center armrest? Did you remember to lock that one or is it open?

Locksmith?

Go to a dealer with your VIN & maybe some kind of proof-of-ownership. They may be able to cut a key based on the VIN.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

How much would it cost to have a locksmith open the trunk? I wouldnt think it would be terrible, but then again, I have never had to call a locksmith, I always have an extra key lol. Maybe its time you had an extra key cut for you...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 PM

All right... I got in. And, the keys were exactly where I thought they were. They were inside the trunk. I don't think I'm entirely stupid, though. The way that the keys were sitting, it looks like I accidentally dropped them rather than just set them down inside the trunk. That would make sense, considering that I really had my hands full when I was getting in there. I feel stupid, but not as stupid anymore.

So, how did I do it you ask? I'm glad you asked that. I hesitate to write it here due to the number of theivingPEOPLE in the world. But, if you get right down to it, if someone stole or broke into a car, I doubt that they're going to let a locked trunk stop them. If they want in the trunk, they'll get in the trunk. In fact, I'd imagine that the fact that it's locked would make them more curious as to what was hidden in there.

Ultimately, what I did was to disassemble the bracket that holds the levers to the fuel door and the trunk release. There is one phillips head screw holding the plastic trim piece onto the bracket. Remove that, and you have access to the two bolts that hold the bracket to the body. Remove those and you can pull the bracket up enough to gain access to the cable. Once you have access, you can trigger the trunk release manually by pulling on the cable to pop the trunk. It was a bit of a bitch, but not too bad. I'm lucky that the car itself was unlocked. It made my life much easier.

All right, thanks for the input. I gotta go. I've got a date with the locksmith!!

Jon

Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Good job Johnny ..glad that you figured it out , I had to do the samr thing for 1 of my customers...I did not want to suugest that on the net , afraid that the wrong people might have read it ,,and to be honest with you i did not even think of pm you with the solution
next time you got a security kind of question pm me

Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Just to add to this a little tidbit; I locked my keys in my truck one time, the next day I went and had a key copy made to carry in my billfold.......3 years have gone by and I haven't locked my keys in again, only because I have a spare key.
murphys law I guess

Old 01-12-2007, 09:10 PM

*LOL* I did that EXACT same thing....

Old 01-13-2007, 04:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

some people have a hide a key magnatic box under the car , seen that many many times

Old 01-13-2007, 07:11 PM

I keep a spare key in my wallet as well, this struck me as curious because I have a trunk pop lever on the bottom left of the driver seat in my Accord. do later models not have those?

Quick Reply: I'm An Idiot!! Can You Help?!