General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won't fire!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered
Default Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won't fire!

just stopped running, has electricity, and fuel. it didn't make any unusual noises, or smells either. I replaced the master relay, and it still won't start. It does turn over fine though.

Anyplaces I can look? I need this car very much to haul my family and get to work.

thank you all!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won't fire!

Check for spark at a plug wire, after that you can open the test port bolt on the fuel rail SLIGHTLY and turn on the key to check for fuel pressure.

From that info we can choose a diagnostic path.

Doyou have a test light or multi meter?
There should be battery voltage at the Black/yellow wire of the dist. plug when the key is on.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:50 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered

I don't have that many tools at the moment. I checked for fuel pressure, and it appears that there is plenty of fuel. If it helps, it shut off, just as I was turning right.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

You can pull a plug wire and put a screwdriver in the plug boot, hold the screwdriver shank close to the engine. Then have someonecrank it. Brake on, trans in neutral or park.

How many miles on this creampuff ?
Has the T-belt ever been changed ?
And above all, QUIT Making right turns ! ! [sm=icon_rofl.gif] I really crack me up.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered

Timing belt, less than 30k miles ago. It's got 139k on it, and it ran like a dream for two years without incident.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 PM

How old is the ignitor? How old is the ignition switch?

Old 12-31-2008, 12:07 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered
Default RE: Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won'

Igniter? I have no idea. I'm not that familar with working on Honda cars. as for the ignition switch, it's most likely original.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered
Default RE: Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won'

OK. Now add to this, that my pickup was stolen last night. I'm in the middle of a move, and am completely screwed if I can't get this Honda running.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

You can download a 91 shop manual from the online manuals thread in the DIY section. You should short the service connector using a thin paperclip and count the LED flashes from ECU. You'll have to pull back the carpet to see the ECU.

A no-start is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. A timing light is a quick way to verify spark. Also read http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...ms.html#basics

for some more info. www.tegger.com is an excellent site with a lot of information.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
mrdennmann
Unregistered

that gives me much more to go on. Thank you, It looks like I have a new weekend project.

Quick Reply: Immediate help needed! 91 Accord won't fire!