General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Incredibly Fast Brake Rotor Warping

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Default Incredibly Fast Brake Rotor Warping

1999 Honda Accord Coupe V6 AT, 178k miles
I have replaced the front rotors 3 times at 3 different garages in the past 2 years. The last time, they started warping again after just 6 weeks. Is this a common problem? Is there a fix? I'm about ready to ditch the car because of having repare the brakes that often. I'd have replaced them more than 3 times, but I just made up my mind not to put any more money into the car last year.

It'd be nice to keep this car as I'll have it paid off in September, but if the brakes are going to need replacing this often, I can't keep it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Incredibly Fast Brake Rotor Warping

Take it easy on the brakes for the first few hundred miles. Don't slam onto the brakes and don't try breaking hard from high speeds. This is what warps your rotors.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Avoid driving through puddles, especially shortly after braking.

The rapid cooling of the rotor by a large amount of water can cause it to warp.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 PM

I really don't see how my driving would kill the brakes that many times. The mechanics have told me before to be easy on them at first, and I always am.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:06 PM

Are you using OEM pads/rotors or aftermarket stuff? How many miles are you getting out of each set?

Old 06-14-2007, 06:13 PM

My buddy just went through this with his GMC Yukon.
He learned the lesson the hard way: Don't use cheap parts!
He bought all new better grade parts and it's great now.
It's a shame he had to pay for the cheap parts only to throw them away after doing the job the second time.

Another thing - aluminum wheels always seem to have more warping problems. Sneak up on the torque on all the bolts. Don't just tighten one fully and then the next.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:17 PM

Well, I use whatever these garages usually use. I doubt they're anything fancy. I know I have ceramic brake pads now, but that's just from this last fix.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Install a set of Honda factory rotors or a set of Brembo , but either way install Honda factory pads,,
you should not use rotors and padsd this frequently ,, unless you like to drive like Mario Andretti ,,I do not know your driving habits but if such is the case . like it was adviced be easy on the brakes

Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: DVan8504

Well, I use whatever these garages usually use. I doubt they're anything fancy. I know I have ceramic brake pads now, but that's just from this last fix.
I personally sell around 25 to 50 pairs of rotors a day and maybe have a come-back of 1 or 2 pairs a week , I feel that the guys arent putting the car back together correctly, maybe they are not putting the lug nuts on in the correct pattern or perhaps they are not torqueing them ,

WheelbrokerAng

Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

Install a set of Honda factory rotors or a set of Brembo , but either way install Honda factory pads,,
you should not use rotors and padsd this frequently ,, unless you like to drive like Mario Andretti ,,I do not know your driving habits but if such is the case . like it was adviced be easy on the brakes
So, I'd need to order the Honda OEM parts from somewhere and take them to the shop or do it myself, that's what you're suggesting, correct?

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

ORIGINAL: DVan8504

I personally sell around 25 to 50 pairs of rotors a day and maybe have a come-back of 1 or 2 pairs a week , I feel that the guys arent putting the car back together correctly, maybe they are not putting the lug nuts on in the correct pattern or perhaps they are not torqueing them ,

WheelbrokerAng
I could see installer error...if it was just one garage, but it's been 3 separate ones. Unless honda cars are just difficult to reassemble or torque down, I don't see this happening.

Quick Reply: Incredibly Fast Brake Rotor Warping