General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

injectors appear to be leaking

Old 11-19-2009, 12:40 AM
skinnytexan
Unregistered
Default injectors appear to be leaking

89 Accord LXi: there appears to be a leak at a joint on the injector body (not the rail assembly). When the engine is warmed up, tiny bubbles come out at this point on two injectors, but on one injector a lot more than on the other. On the worse leak, there is a bead of fluid that collects on a seam in the manifold just below the injector. Not sure if it's related though because it looks more like engine oil than fuel. I guess it could just be dirty. Anyway, could this be a vacuum leak, and could this be the reason why I had such a hard time passing smog (I was only able to get a passing smog reading when the guy plugged my vacuum advance with a golf tee)?
Is it worth replacing the injectors?

Last edited by skinnytexan; 11-19-2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
skinnytexan
Unregistered

Don't know why I didn't just smell the fluid before but now I know: the bead on the manifold weld is motor oil (not sure where from but it's irrelevant), but three injectors are wet with gas.
The gas appears to be coming from a seam up at the level of the electrical input, not from the seal at the manifold.
It looks to me like I need new injectors. ? Also, is this something a relative novice can do? While I have some limited experience under the hood I am pretty methodical. In Chilton's this doesn't look terribly involved.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 PM
skinnytexan
Unregistered

good points. It would be really strange for three injectors to be leaking.
However, I haven't seen any indication of spray. Only the injectors are wet with gas.
I looked before turning on the engine - they were dry. I watched as a wet spot gradually developed around the seam directly under the electric terminal. I looked at that spot on the others and, besides their being wet, they have some kind of build-up at that spot.
I don't have tools beyond the very basic, so I'l have to have a mechanic check out the fuel pressure.

One last question - IF they are all actually leaking, is this something that can strand a car on the hiway or most likely just an annoyance and fuel waste?

Thanks a ton for your input.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

There's an O-ring seal at each injector at the top where it goes into the fuel rail. THAT mighbe be leaking??

If the fuel rail was ever removed, those O-rings should be replaced. Putting the old ones back in could cause 3 or 4 of them to leak so that wouldn't be a real strange coincidence.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
skinnytexan
Unregistered

Ah, now we might be getting somewhere. However the leaks appear to be originating immediately below the electrical terminals, while the o-rings are above that point. Appearance is not always reality though.
Thanks for the lead.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Replace the 2 seals at each injector, #3 & #25. I'm not really sure about #4, whether that piece can rot and/or whether it should be replaced (but I think it's pretty cheap).

Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
skinnytexan
Unregistered

If I wasn't so sure that I was actually seeing leaks on the injector bodies (bubbles forming at joint below terminals) I would just replace the seals myself, but decided to get them checked by a pro to determine if the injectors need to be replaced.
The word from the trusted mechanic: seals shot on three injectors, two injectors leaking under pressure (when removed and tested on machine).
Funny that.
Thanks for all the feedback.