General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input requested.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Lightbulb Input requested.

A couple of events in the last few days prompted me to seek help from you guys. I drive a '94 DX auto-trans with about 150K miles on the clock.

My car has trouble starting whenever left in direct summer sunlight or during a very humid day. She's just finicky in the summer all together, runs like a champ in cooler weather. Members here mentioned that it's most likely fuses or the starter itself. Often times, if I wait about 15-30 mins after trying to crank her and then she'll start up. Three days ago I had to push her in neutral after staying in direct sunlight before she started.

Today was an interesting day. She started today without any issues. I ran a few errands in the morning - it had been about 2 times that I had started her without issues and she ran fine. On the 3rd time (and last time), she had a bit more trouble starting but she did. I put her in R to pull out of my parking spot, then D, then pressed the gas pedal, and she barely moved. She was revving to about 2.5K and maxed out at about 10mph and didn't want to change gear. It almost felt like a spark plug wire came out, but that wasn't it. I finally got to a part of the road that was a bit of a down hill and I could finally feel her change up and she was back to normal. From that, when I got home and slowed down to park... she went back to high revs but barely any mph's. It's like she has trouble changing gears.

Any insight as to what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

What you described is two separate problems; a starting problem and an auto trans problem.

Starting - not clear if engine turns over fine, but doesn't start or if engine fails to turn over adequately. Please clarify

Auto Trans - Is the D4 light flashing? If yes, see DIY forum for codes access and get trans codes. Same as Check Engine Light codes, but D4 liight will flash the auto trans code/s.

good luck

Old 07-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
What you described is two separate problems; a starting problem and an auto trans problem.

Starting - not clear if engine turns over fine, but doesn't start or if engine fails to turn over adequately. Please clarify

Auto Trans - Is the D4 light flashing? If yes, see DIY forum for codes access and get trans codes. Same as Check Engine Light codes, but D4 liight will flash the auto trans code/s.

good luck
Hi, TexasH.

Appreciate your quick reply.

Engine turns over fine but doesn't start.

The D4 light does not flash.

(I've had the Haynes repair manual for Accords '94 thru '97 for as long as I own my car and it's been helpful most times, but with these issues I just can't seem to find an answer.)

Thank you.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds more, to me, like a main relay issue. When the "hot day" no start happens, do you hear the fuel pump prime, does the CEL come on for ~3 seconds on go off?

Add a "trans" issue as well......what is the fluid level and condition?

Check for codes.

When was the last tune up done.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've just come back from trying to start her. She turns, but doesn't start. And, the turning is the kind that dies down now. Did a visual inspection of the bay, cleaned up the battery wires, checked the fuses - nothing "seems" to be wrong. Radio and lights turn on. Maybe it's a dying battery issue? Have had the battery for 6+ years now. Gonna try a jump-start later and see how it goes. If not that - assuming a main-relay or starter.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

If the starter is turning the engine at about the same rate when it starts and doesn't start, then the starter is fine.

It sounds more like a main relay problem from your description. Turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. Do you hear the fuel pump from the back seat area when the check engine light turns on for about two seconds?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If the starter is turning the engine at about the same rate when it starts and doesn't start, then the starter is fine.

It sounds more like a main relay problem from your description. Turn the key to the II position, but don't try to start the car. Do you hear the fuel pump from the back seat area when the check engine light turns on for about two seconds?
Not anymore. The engine barely turns now at the turn of the key and struggles to do so. I don't have the key turned for too long 'cause I'm afraid of any permanent damage.

I will do the II position switch and let you know what I hear.

Thank you!

Last edited by Bogart; 08-01-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM

resolder the main relay

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder

jump the car and try to start it, you will not damage it unless you try to start a car with no oil

the questions earlier attempted to isolate the main relay problem. if you go in a quiet car and turn the key all the way before it actually starting the car you'll hear a whining noise from the rear- that's the fuel pump.

a bad main relay will not power the fuel pump. no gas to the engine = no go

Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by doctorbee
resolder the main relay

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder

jump the car and try to start it, you will not damage it unless you try to start a car with no oil

the questions earlier attempted to isolate the main relay problem. if you go in a quiet car and turn the key all the way before it actually starting the car you'll hear a whining noise from the rear- that's the fuel pump.

a bad main relay will not power the fuel pump. no gas to the engine = no go
Thanks very much for the link! I'll do as recommended. Main relay will be less expensive to fix than the starter (as I'm short on proper tools too).

Found this on another forum with a quick google search and literally laughed aloud because it's what I've experienced as well. In a Civic, but still...

Replacing Main Relay in 92-95 Civic

"10-15 of waiting and the car pushed to a shade, will usually start. "

Thank you!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Pictures of Main Relay

After attempting to jump start the car to no avail, I was able to pull out the main relay this morning. 1) Luckily, I didn't have to go through the cruise control box to get to it as my DX doesn't have cruise control (and the relay is to the right of the steering column in a '94). 2) I was able to pull the two tabs aside and pull the relay out of its housing without unbolting/unscrewing anything. 3) I learned some new yoga moves today.

I don't see any cracked joints. I'll assume the joints are simply worn. However, when I cranked the car after taking the main relay out she sounded the same as when the relay was in - I'm hoping that in fact it is in the relay. I'm going to pick up a soldering iron in a bit and get to work.

Last edited by Bogart; 08-02-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Input requested.