General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Default Instrument Cluster

I purchased a 1995 Honda Accord with V6 from a lady who was going to junk the car that had a blown head gasket. Long story short, the engine was replaced and is running. The problem is that the instrument cluster does not work. The back light turn on without any problems. But, nothing else work, no speedometer, temperature gauge, gas gauge or RPM gauge. Thinking it was the cluster, I purchased one from the junk yard and the same thing happened. Thinking the cluster was bad, I had the guy from the junk yard replace it, same thing. Could it be that both clusters are bad or something else? I checked all of the fuses in the engine compartment and the kick panel in the car and neither of them are blown. What could be causing this problem? Is there a relay or fuse that I don't know about? I searched this site and I didn't find any answers to my problem.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check for unconnected harness items under the hood is my first suggestion. I assume you are connecting all three of the instrument cluster connectors.

I would also suggest checking for power supply to the instrument cluster at the A connector (center connector, yellow wire). It's possible that a bad starter switch assembly might cause this but if engine is starting, this is not the problem.

good luck

Old 10-03-2010, 08:12 PM

The car starts without any problems. I traced back the wires and they lead to the interior fuse box. I noticed that slot numbers 1 2 3 and 5 are all empty. Are they supposed to be occupied by fuses?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 PM

Fuse No. 1 should have a 10A fuse. Not sure about others.

Suggest you download the 94-97 Accord manual and supplements from links on this site.

good luck

Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Fuse No. 1 should have a 10A fuse. Not sure about others.

Suggest you download the 94-97 Accord manual and supplements from links on this site.

good luck

What type of fuse is the #1 fuse? The local autoparts store does not have any idea as to the type of fuse I need. Since I do not have a fuse to show them, they are lost.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM

All fuses are same style/size. Pull one and match to 10A rating.

good luck

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM

#1,2, 3, and 5 are the same style fuse. The problem is that all of them are missing. Those fuses are different from the other fuses.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dbl07
What type of fuse is the #1 fuse? The local autoparts store does not have any idea as to the type of fuse I need. Since I do not have a fuse to show them, they are lost.
Underhood fusebox?? or kickpanel fusebox??

Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Pic's of the fuse panel might help. I went and pulled the kickpanel cover for the 95 EX 4 cyl I have. As they are numbered ON THE PANEL (not as the are numbered on the cover)- 1, 2, 3 and 5 are blank. Just a spade connector. Below that starts a row of ATO type fuses.

EDIT: for those looking at the manuals, the OP is refering to what is labeld as A, B, C and D in the diag on pg 23-34. Labeled as "To optional connector".
No pic's need now, sorry.

Last edited by poorman212; 10-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Pic's of the fuse panel might help. I went and pulled the kickpanel cover for the 95 EX 4 cyl I have. As they are numbered ON THE PANEL (not as the are numbered on the cover)- 1, 2, 3 and 5 are blank. Just a spade connector. Below that starts a row of ATO type fuses.

EDIT: for those looking at the manuals, the OP is refering to what is labeld as A, B, C and D in the diag on pg 23-34. Labeled as "To optional connector".
No pic's need now, sorry.
For those looking at the Correct manuals 95 EX V-6 Fuse#1 under dash fusebox is ten amps.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster