General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intake flush?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Intake flush?

This is going to sound really stupid but here's a question I've been seeking an answer to some time, is it possible to "flush" the intake assembly out with water? Like if debris enters through the intake pipes and ends up in the resonator assembly is it possible to hose water down the lower part of the air cleaner box so the water flushes the intake the reverse direction air usually flows through the intake?

And obviously a related question to that is how the water drains out of the intake system. I noticed that the positioning of the intake on some cars makes it possible for water to enter the resonator. How does the water drain?

To my knowledge the stock intake system on an average Honda consists of an intake pipe where the air flow starts, usually positioned near the battery, it goes down to a resonator jug that's behind the front bumper somewhere like the windshield fluid reservoir, a pipe comes out from that and goes back up to the lower portion of the air cleaner box. So if someone were to take their upper air cleaner box off, take the air filter out, block the rest of the intake to prevent water from spraying and shoot water through the lower half of the air cleaner assembly backwards, what would happen?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure where you are going or why.

In theory, I would think you could run water where the filter is and it would drain out the bottom of the "box" below the bumper.

Me, if I thought there was dirt and that in there. Take a shop vac and stick it down there - from where the filter sits.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Which car are we talking about?

Generally I think the answer would be "NO". Won't hurt anything but probably won't get the debris out.

I had a 4-cyl 1998 Accord & the resonator was probably typical of a lot of years. Air enters from a snorkel at the top, flows through the big resonator tank, then flows upwards to the air-filter-box.

There's a little drain-hole in the bottom for rainwater, etc. So any big stuff may or may not get flushed out. Lets say you have leaves & bits of paper in there - those would probably come out through the intake snorkel. Rocks probably would not float out.