General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Brake Failure? 95 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Unhappy Intermittent Brake Failure? 95 Accord

How can the brakes fail without warning and then work just fine after a 30-minute ride on a flatbed truck?

I drove my housemate's 95 Accord wagon yesterday to a meeting. I stopped at a light on a downhill incline in town without a problem. About one min later, traffic slowed down, I was coasting on a flat area of road, foot off the gas, maybe 3 mph. Trash truck in front of me applied his brakes. I applied my brakes about 10' from rear of the trash truck but NOTHING HAPPENED. The brake went clear to the floor and there was no brake! I thought I might just coast to a stop or maybe bump him slightly, as I was only going about 2-3 mph. The Accord bumped the trash truck's rear and buckled the Accord's hood, but there was no damage to trash truck. The hit was so mild that the trash driver got out, came back, and said, "Did you bump me? Oh, I guess you did!" (This he said after he saw the damage).

I paid $150+ to have AAA tow the car home per housemate's preference only to have him drive the car into the parking pad WITH NO BRAKE PROBLEM. He says I'm lying about the brake failure "because the brakes are fine". I know the brakes failed! I just don't understand how they can fail one minute and then work fine 30 minutes later???

NOTE: There were no brake sounds like when your brakes are going out, the road was dry, it was a hot and sunny day, and I wasn't doing more than 2-4 mph.

Also, I'd appreciate your opinion: Should I pay to replace his hood?
While I deeply appreciate the loan of his car, I did not use his car in an irresponsible manner. He says since I was driving it's my responsibility to replace it at his estimated cost of $2000. I want to be fair, but in my mind, replacing his hood is nothing compared to the lawsuit(s) he would've incurred had I been killed or seriously injured, or killed/injured others had this happened at a higher speed. Not to mention I received a citation because I hit a city vehicle, so I’m already going to have to pay a fine and perhaps end up with points on my license. I want to do the right thing, but borrowing a friend’s car that suddenly has no brakes seems beyond the normal level of responsibility one takes on when using someone else's car. What do you think?

Thanks for your input,
A

Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  213.1 KB

Last edited by cohenpr; 06-09-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

excessive moisture in the system can cause a failure, a bypass master cylinder could as well, and both may be intermittent. the vehicle needs to be inspected by an independent shop to find the cause.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Well I would most likely say master cylinder. Because my 91' did that a couple of times before I replaced the master. Just had to pump it and it was fine.

As for the hood you were driving so it is your responsibility, but 2000 seems a bit steep. Go to a junk yard and see how much a used hood is. Then pay accordingly.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I agree that a Master Cylinder can be intermittent. What happened to your handbrake? It works w/o hydraulics and is designed for your event.

No getting around the fact it's your responsibility. You accepted that responsibility when you borrowed the car.

A used hood and repaint should probably get you well for $500, especially if you diy install the hood.

good luck

Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM

I found a new hood at Parts Bin for $86. Thanks for the advice!

Honestly, I felt as if I should not pay the whole thing inasmuch as there was no fault on my end, it was the car that failed. But I see that two of you believe I should.

Should I ask him to split ANY of this?

Thanks
A

Old 06-09-2012, 10:23 AM

Texas Honda, I didn't think fast enough re the hand brake. Duh and darn-it.

A

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

...his estimated cost of $2000
If that's the only damage (and a cursory look at the pic shows only hood damage) then scout salvage yard websites for the same color hood. $200 ought to get you one and it's a four bolt job. Probably take a half an hour to replace it with a helper.

$2000 is two-thirds the blue book price of the car.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Well, I wouldn't pay for replacing Master Cylinder or brake repair

Hood is yours IMO.

good luck

Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's up to you to (re)make the car substantially as it was when you borrowed it, imo.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:25 PM

I cant imagine the hood denting that much going 2-4 mph. Hopefully he/she is ok with a junk yard hood and you can put that on it and everyone will be happy. If I had a friend do that to my 96 accord I probably would just ridicule them for years that would be enough payment for me.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Brake Failure? 95 Accord