General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Missing, No Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Default Intermittent Missing, No Check Engine Light

I have a very similar issue. The symptoms are:-

- The engine misses intermittently, usually after driving for a while.
- It seems worse under load or when going over bumps. Sometimes it takes half an hour or so, sometimes it does it straight away.
- The tacho bounces round like crazy. When it gets really bad the engine will stall completely and the tacho drops to 0.

I've just changed the distributor cap and rotor, and the coil and igniter, plugs and leads are about 8 months old. The main relay is about 2 months old. I'll try to check the EGR now. There is no check engine light coming on, and it doesn't seem to be losing coolant or blowing steam. Please help TexasHonda!

Last edited by carl2782; 12-03-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Just want to add - just did the EGR test as suggested above by TexasHonda and the car was still missing when I revved it at a standstill, with the EGR vacuum line removed and blocked.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

As was the case w/ the thread you swiped, I moved your post to allow directed responses to your problem. It's too confusing to address two problems at same time, even if similar problems.

Post your model year/trim. Best to attach to your signature.

Since you've changed the coil, plugs, and wires this has signature of ignitor problem (tach is driven by ignitor output).

good luck

Old 12-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

What year is your accord? Put that info in your signature.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks for the advice and thread split - As now noted below, it's a 1991 2 door EX-R. Igniter hey? I replaced that a while back, but it didn't fix the problem I had at the time (turned out to be the coil). Now I remember reading that the tach is driven by the igniter output at the time. I'll try that, any other suggestions?

Carl

Edit: I wanted to do some tests on the igniter, but since the problem is intermittent, are there any tests I can do that would actually show if it's faulty?

Last edited by carl2782; 12-03-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:08 PM

Based on what you've posted ignitor seems most likely. I've seen tach fluctuations occur due to spark plugs also. Not sure why this happends, but I experience one case when it did.

Try techauto^awardspace.com/ignition and see if any of that looks promising. Frankly any intermittent problem can't be investigated while the problem is not presented. You'll have to wait till things get worse.

good luck

Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I would check for error codes. Read the writeup in the DIY on how to get CEL codes.

If you have an O'Reillys nearby, they can test the ignitor.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Tried checking for error codes by jumping the diagnostic connector and the check engine light didn't flash.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 AM

Does the Check Engine Light come on for 2 secs and go off when keyswitch is turned from Off to On? If yes, the ECM may likely OK.

If you jumper the SCC and no code, and the CEL stay on, this indicates the ECM is in BackUp mode. Manual says to substitute a known good ECM and check.

Before getting another ECM, suggest resetting ECM by pulling BackUp fuse (7.5A) in underhood fuse box (3rd position of 5 on inside row) and see if any codes come up or system works OK. There were some problems w/ ECM's for the 90-93 models.

I recently had to replace ECM on my 94EX, so they do fail, but rarely.

You can find inexpensive ECM's on ebay or car-part.com, probably for <$50.

good luck

Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Will check this morning, thanks.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Missing, No Check Engine Light