General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent Random Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Default Intermittent Random Starting problems

2009 Honda Accord, 2.4L 4 Cyl
I have had some random Starting issues for quite some time now. It seems to take up to 5 sec for the car to fire up. The starter seems fine and its spinning it up, but the trouble is to get it to fire up. Now other times it just fires off just fine.

Now this morning i just got a check engine light and i still need to get the reader out and see what code it is.

But with the randomness of the starting issue, maybe its a corroded battery cable? anyone else here have the issue?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Since starter is turning engine over battery or cables are not the problem.

More likely a fuel pressure issue. Suggest following start procedure to confirm fuel delivery problem. Turn keyswitch to On for 5 secs, reoeat same, and then attempt to start. If start is good, fuel delivery problem is likely; main fuel relays, fuel pump, or wiring/connector fault. Since problem is intermittent, you may need to repeat this process for several days to confirm w/ high confidence.

good luck

Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Great, thank you! Now i should have posted this a few weeks ago and tried that out. I started it last night after work no problem. But then when i went to drive, the check engine light was blinking and i had very little power. So i found out later from a coworker who is much more knowledgeable than i am that the car was in low power mode. I had roadside assistance with free towing, so i called a tow truck and they brought me to my mechanic. Should get fixed up today. Thank you for the info!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Check ignition coil.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:26 AM

So, the issue at the mechanic was the crank position sensor and they replaced and had to reprogram the computer to the new sensor. Well it was fine, until this morning and had the same starting issue, it took at least 5 secs, maybe up to 10 secs, to fire up. Then the Check Engine light and VSA light was lite up. Well, i, for some reason shut the car down, waited 5 secs and it started up with no issues, but now just check engine light was on. I had to get to work, so i havent read the code yet, i will do that after work. If we assume that i just didnt get a bad sensor, then do you think its a fuel pressure issue as @texashonda has said above?

Old 09-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody on here can give you a definitive answer on the actual problem until you pull the code(s), then you will likely have to do some testing.