General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a leak. (MPG)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default I've got a leak. (MPG)

Alright, well today I filled up with 14.1 gallons and had 365 miles on the trip odo. which = 25.8 MPG. Last time it said 26mpg so I know I have a EXHAUST leak and I am pretty sure I can hear it.

I need to find the leak to see which gasket to replace.

I am planning on buying a can of Seafoam to clean out the engine, but also since it causes all that white smoke I figure I will see some shooting out of where the leak is at the flange of the headers. Is that right to assume that? When I fix the leak, should I use high temp red rtv and a gasket, or just the silicone? If it is the gasket I havent replaced, then I am guessing it is blowing out the middle foamy stuff of the gaskets, just as it had with the other one.

Next, I know its been asked before but I want to make sure. How do I use Seafoam and where is my brake booster line? Is it okay to use, my car has 87,4xxk miles. Will it ruin my o2 sensors? How much do I use?

I know I may seem needy but I need an answer ASAP (sorry). It is because I am currently unemployed and have $500 in my account with a $300 rotor job I need to get done and $44 at the pump is ruining my account so I need this fixed asap.

Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: I've got a leak. (MPG)

Here's the seafoam usage link:

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

As for the white smoke out of the leak It sounds good in theory but I'm not 100% certain that it will work. When you fix the leak if you are planning on using some silicone or forma seal type stuff make certain that you only use the high temp.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

That's less than 0.8% change. I'd expect more variation from one tank to the next just based on how 'full' the tank is when the pump trips off.

Second... I don't understand the connection between that and a leak. If you have a gasoline leak, you could probably smell it before it gets bad enough to kill your gas mileage. An exhaust leak just makes noise, doesn't really kill mileage. Wait until you identify the leak, then worry about how to fix it - they're not all the same.

Your brake booster is that big round black thing between the master cylinder and the firewall. It'll have a hose, probably about 1/2" thick. That's the brake booster line. Disconnect it on the other side of the little plastic check valve so the seafoam doesn't go thru the check valve.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:10 PM

The link sir_nasty posted should help you find the brake booster vacuum hose. If not, here's how to find it: Look at the brake master cylinder. Behind it attached to the firewall is the brake booster. There should be a black hose running from the brake booster to the throttle body or intake manifold. it should be the only vacuum line running from IM to brake booster. If there are more, take a picture of your engine bay and post here. I believe it is also possible to add seafoam through the PCV valve. Take a pic of your engine bay and I'll show you where that is if you need me to. It is a vacuum hose that runs from the middle of the valve cover to the throttle body on the f22 VTEC. I'm not sure if it is in the same location on the f22 Non-VTEC (I always forget which codes come after "f22" telling whether or not it's VTEC.)

Old 09-10-2007, 03:21 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

That's less than 0.8% change. I'd expect more variation from one tank to the next just based on how 'full' the tank is when the pump trips off.

Second... I don't understand the connection between that and a leak. If you have a gasoline leak, you could probably smell it before it gets bad enough to kill your gas mileage. An exhaust leak just makes noise, doesn't really kill mileage. Wait until you identify the leak, then worry about how to fix it - they're not all the same.

Your brake booster is that big round black thing between the master cylinder and the firewall. It'll have a hose, probably about 1/2" thick. That's the brake booster line. Disconnect it on the other side of the little plastic check valve so the seafoam doesn't go thru the check valve.
I meant the 26mpg to mean that it confirms I am getting bad mpg, not what I had before. Sorry to confuse you.

As for the leak, it isnt a gasoline leak, its an exhaust leak in the headers. It will decrease mpg by alot. The first time I had a leak my check engine light came on and I was getting in the low 20's for my mpg and my car was running pretty badly. If you have a leak in the header it completely messes up the tuning, and backpressure which does alot to hurt the mpg.

Thanks for the check valve tip.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:27 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Here's the seafoam usage link:

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

As for the white smoke out of the leak It sounds good in theory but I'm not 100% certain that it will work. When you fix the leak if you are planning on using some silicone or forma seal type stuff make certain that you only use the high temp.
Thanks for the link Sir_Nasty! But the part about dirty o2 sensors worries me as I wouldnt have the money to replace them if they get ruined...so bah...idk what to do now.
As for the silicone part that was my fault, I meant high temp silicone for both, but I was debating whether to use just the high temp silicone, or use a new gasket and high temp silicone.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

The link sir_nasty posted should help you find the brake booster vacuum hose. If not, here's how to find it: Look at the brake master cylinder. Behind it attached to the firewall is the brake booster. There should be a black hose running from the brake booster to the throttle body or intake manifold. it should be the only vacuum line running from IM to brake booster. If there are more, take a picture of your engine bay and post here. I believe it is also possible to add seafoam through the PCV valve. Take a pic of your engine bay and I'll show you where that is if you need me to. It is a vacuum hose that runs from the middle of the valve cover to the throttle body on the f22 VTEC. I'm not sure if it is in the same location on the f22 Non-VTEC (I always forget which codes come after "f22" telling whether or not it's VTEC.)
Thanks! I will take a look if I decide to use the SeaFoam....I am always worried about my car. If I cannot find I shall post a picture. And my engine is the f22b2 non-vtec. Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Alright, well today I filled up with 14.1 gallons and had 365 miles on the trip odo. which = 25.8 MPG. Last time it said 26mpg so I know I have a leak and I am pretty sure I can hear it.

I need to find the leak to see which gasket to replace.
WOW, YOU THINK YOU GOT A FUEL LEAK ?? AND YOU CAN HEAR IT ??
First off .I do not think that you are hearing a fuel leak,, If you had a leak and you would be able to hear it , it would mean that it would be spraying from a high pressure source if that would be the case , you would have a lot of fuel leaking and you would use A LOT more gasoline than that ,
, did you drive the same way as the previous tank? same roads? tire pressure the same? load on car the same.? a/c usage the same ? .
chk for fuel leaks doing a visual inspection, ( tank, lines, injectors, filter, ) chk for dry fuel stain ,,

Old 09-10-2007, 03:38 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Sorry Sorry Sorry, I mean Exhaust leak. My bad.

I guess I should have looked at this http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm*embarrassed* and it is o2 sensor safe!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright so for the actual gasket goes.

Should I use just the high temp silicone, or should I use a new gasket and the silicone?

Quick Reply: I've got a leak. (MPG)