General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jap import - Accord SIR 2000 - misfiring cylinder

Old 09-25-2006, 05:16 AM
egoman
Unregistered
Default Jap import - Accord SIR 2000 - misfiring cylinder

G'day!
Please someone help! My recently imported Accord SIR (engine F20B TYPE SIR 2L) is firing on three cylinders. I've had it hooked up to the computer and the oscillograph is showing that the fuel injection is constantly correcting for the octane number. I've since had it cleaned with ultrasound and flushed it with cleaning fluids but the problem persists.
Does anyone have any idea what's causing this?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Jap import - Accord SIR 2000 - misfiring cylinder

Hmmm, I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure about 'correcting for octane number', but if the car is firing on 3 cylinders I would start with the basics. There are some mechanics on this forum so they might be able to help more, but I'll give it a shot from my own experience. It sounds like the car is getting enough gas just a firing problem. I would check all the ignition gear. Check all the plugs. This might also tell you which cylinder is having trouble. If plugs look bad I would replace them, most of us prefer NGK plugs. Check you plug wires. Check rotor and button. Check your coil and all connections. You might want to get a test light to check everything over.
That is where I would start, but don't start throwing money into it if your not sure of the problem, just start eliminating the possibilities.
Hope this helps.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Jap import - Accord SIR 2000 - misfiring cylinder

valve adjustment? too tight of a valve lash could cause this, honda plug wires usually last around 10 years. might be worth getting a new set or check yours for firing out the side.
Pull the plug wires off the dist cap one at a time, with insulated pliers, to find the dead hole.
Be sure all the ground wires are clean and tight.