General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerked Back after Replacing Timing Belt and Axle Seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:08 PM
sunny393
Unregistered
Default Jerked Back after Replacing Timing Belt and Axle Seal

I am new to this forum and would appreciate your comments on a strange problem that my car has developed. I have a 2000 Honda Accord SE, 4 Cyl, automatic with 105 K. Day before yesterday I took it to the dealer to get my timing belt replaced for preventive maintenance. They replaced my timing belt, water pump, and few other belts and seals. They also found my transmission fluid leaking and changed an axle seal as well. I also had the alignment done as I bought some new tires recently. I got my car back yesterday and I noticed that after I braked, the car would come to a complete stop and then I and my passenger would get jerked back. This happened every time I braked. I was in a slow 5-10 miles an hour stop and go traffic for miles and every time I will brake, the car would stop and then we would both get jerked back. It was a strange experience. I never slammed on the brake. I never took the foot off the brake after it stopped. It was normal braking in that traffic speed. Also, I never sensed anything different while braking. Everything was normal. The brake pedal would go down and the car would slow down and then come to a stop and then we got jerked back immediately after it stopped. Any ideas why this could happen?

Thanks! in advance.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Default RE: Jerked Back after Replacing Timing Belt and Axle Seal

did you get jerked back as a result of the car actually rolling backwards slightly?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
sunny393
Unregistered

No! the car will come to a complete stop and itis a flat road. I drive this road everyday and I have never experienced this.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Maybe after they replaced the axle seals they cleaned your rotors to make sure there wasn't any grease on them and your brakes are just extra sensitive now. When you come to a complete stop the front brakes absorb a lot of energy from the movement of the car. When you stop they sort of release that energy backwards... Newton's 3rd law: each and every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:26 PM

I once got a ticket for running a stop sign because the cop said my wheels didn't come to a complete stop and he didn't see our heads jerk back a little, if the car isn't rocking backwards then I'd lean towards finch13's explination of it.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:43 PM

what does 'jerked back' mean though? does it feel like the transmission is downshifting or definately feels related to the brakes? has someone adjusted the rear shoes lately?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
sunny393
Unregistered

Thank you for taking the time read my query. What I meant was that the driver and the passenger got thrown back once I came to a stop. Everything else in the car felt normal. I do not know whether the transmission was downshifting. I do not know how to tell whether it was downshifting. The car would completely stop and then we would get thrown back. I can trying moving the tranmission to neutral and then applying the brakes and see what happens.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:46 AM

I'm thinking that finch is on the right track ..... you might want to get a can of brake cleaner spray and spray down the rotors inside and out. Maybe something sticky got on there that doesn't burn off?!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM

is the idle normal /? around 700-750 rpm ?? it almost sounds like a downshifing tranny symptom to me ,,

Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM

But it happens after a complete stop. If the tranny was switching gears you might feel it, but to be jerked back?

Quick Reply: Jerked Back after Replacing Timing Belt and Axle Seal