General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerky Trans on 96 ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Jerky Trans on 96 ex

Newbee here, I looked in the DIY section but didn't see auto trans stuff. Just got a 96 accord EX, V6 with auto. The car has sat for the last 1.5 years. The tranny seemed a little jerky and seemed to downshift a little hard. The trans was 3/4 quarts low on ATF so I filled it and it seems a little better on accelaration but still jerky downshift. The ATF has NEVER been changed from the maintenance records that came with it. It has 155k and Amco says I'd be better off NOT to change the fluid and wants to do a FREE diagnostic road and computercheck. The Tech hinted I may have burned up the clutches fromeven a small amount of driving.How are these trannies and should I change the fluid? Thanks for any help. Oh yeah; Great Site. I'm a Z31.COM man but looks like I'll be hanging out here for a while. Your DIY section is money!!

1996 , V6 Accord EX, auto

Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Default RE: Jerky Trans on 96 ex

congrats on the vehicle! it sounds like it wasn't taken care of real well so I'd make sure and check your timing belt to see if it's ever been replaced.... those older nissan/datsun's have always been one of my favorite vehicles too so it's cool to meet someone who still runs one... have you done much work to it?

as for the tranny I bet a drain and re-fill would do wonders for it (don't flush it), make sure you use ONLY honda ATF

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The timing belt was changed at 90k. I think I will go ahead and change the ATF dispite Amoco's advise.
My z is an 86 non turbo 5 speed and runs great. Pretty easy to work on and I have only had to replace starter, alt, fanclutch, and replace timing belt, water pump, cam shaft seals...I also have this 89 Nissan Hardbody pickup. It has over 300k and runs great, The ac still works.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

AAMCO ran a free check on my tran. No Codes but they say somethingis going on and for 389.00 they will go in further to inspect. They suspect total rebuild...Another company (Trans Doctor) says i have low pressure and a code PO725.. They also say I have a pretty good leak... Funny; they were the first ones to look at it and AAMCO doesn't even report a leak... I smell fish..AAMCO alsosuggest total rebuild!!!!! Both companies say DO NOT CHANGE FLUID or it will surley make things worse.............Think I'll change fluid...

Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Change that fluid, Honda ATF Z-1 is top shelf stuff.
FWIW P0725 is a code for "engine speed input" to the trans control unit, you would have had A 'D4' light or CEL light on.
Now not to be condesending, if you are a first time Honda driver, the transmissions of those years use a 'positive pressure' shift. In other words pressure is higher on the clutch pak when shifts engage. The idea is for less wear of the clutch pak via less slippage of the plates,unlike the GM MUSH shift.
But in 98 and up Honda caved into consumer desire for the mush shift, and it just so happens that 98-01 transmissions rarely last beyond 100k miles.
Things that make ya say 'Hmmmmm?'

Old 02-24-2007, 08:10 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I dont understand, why would they say NOT to change the fluid? If it has 155k and has never had the fluid changed, why the heck would they tell you to leave it alone? I dont know jack about auto trannys, but that just seems retarded to me.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

This old wives tale needs to DIE;
The reason for this rumor is from people who wait until they have some problem before they change fluid. Then when the Transmission goes south,[ from the original cause of never having fluid changed] they BLAME the failure on the fluid change.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM

there is a difference between a fluid change and a flush. if you change the fluid you should be ok but if you flush it you may run into problems. the thing is that with old fluid the theory is the garbage in the fluid packs itself around the tite spots maybe where a seal of sorts is... then you flush it, it knocks that stuff lose all at once and messes up your trans.

I have a v6 and mine is in perfect condition other then not starting for whatever reason (for the first time ever but im working on that but ever since i've had it, it's always downshifted really hard. if you read consumer reports or reviews they always mention how rough the downshifting is on v6 models. So you may be just chasing a ghost if this is what youre talking about. hope that helps though! good luck.

edit: it's recommended to flush the system ever 6000-1000 miles (varries on opinion) but then you don't get the build up and then you never get the transmition problems because you kept up on changing the fluid. normally they don't recommend flushing if the fluid is super old because of the whole build up issue.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Honda Dude. I don't have a D4 light . I did change the fluid and refilled with Honda ATF. It runs a LOT better. I still have a problem though. The tachometer works in and out. Whenthe tach is working the trans shifts and downshifts fine. When the tach starts to jump around the trans starts to mildly bump around also. The tach eventually stops and the trans goes back to running smooth. I took the car toHonda service for a $39.95transmission diagnostic check.. I SHOULD have done this first!!! I'lllet yall know the outcome tonight.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

They claimed if you put new ATF in a trans with high miles the new fluid would breakdown the rubber components and totally kill the tranny. They were wrong on this one!!! It runs much smoother now... Transmission shops are in it for one thing...

Quick Reply: Jerky Trans on 96 ex