General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jlisewski932.2lx

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Default jlisewski932.2lx

Hello, i have looked through all the threads for two days and the dyi pages and have not been able to find an answer. i am a single dad and dont have alot of money to fix or keep buying batteries and altenators.(two each already). i have had the car for two months and have tried to bring things up to par but now i have an electrical problem.. at first the batt light would come in intermittently . i had the altenator replaced and the battery, seemed fine for a while then about two weeks later i charged the ac and found it worked! amazed i thought i was lucky to get such a good car. two days later i drove about 90 miles and loved the cold air . but when i drove home that night i noticed that the dash lights seemed dim. and that i had to drive with the brights on to see. i made it about 60 miles back twards home and then the tack and speedo just stoped working. i was stranded with my two daughters for 7 hrs. the only person i could get to stop tried to jump it but as soon as i took it off jump it would sputter and stop. the next day i went to o'rileys and they said the alt was bad. got new one put it in and jumped it . worked for a fiew miles ans went back to o'rileys and they tested it again and then it started droping voltace as we watched it . then it just quit .only ran with a jump.and died when i disconnect. got another new batt. ran for a day and died again . i checked the main crank pully and it doesent spin by hand. checked fusses all good . when i turn on the lights the dash clock dims . also the tail light indicator is on . i am at a loss and cant afford to take it to a shop .and its my only transport for my family , any ideas would be greatly appreaciated...93 honda accord 2.2lxsedan

Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Get some white out. Mark a line from the center of the crank pulley (where the bolt is) to the edge. Start the car and try to drive it (if possible). When you shut off the car, check to see if you still have a straight line.

That crank pulley is really two metal pieces with a small piece of rubber between them.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Default jlisewski 93 accord 2.2lx sedan

thanks for the help ill try that today ...

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM

ok it looks like its not the pulley. im not sure if i mentioned it seems as though theres a live short of some kind.the brake light indicator is staying on and turning on the headlights really seems to dim the dash even when its on a jump. i have checked the bulbe and there ok

Old 06-21-2013, 01:26 PM

it acts like theres a bad component in the lighting assembly. problem came on suddenly while driving.no bumps or bad weather .just driving with the lights on at night.

Last edited by jlisewski; 06-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would carefully inspect the wiring to the alternator. Also, disconnect the battery, and clean all ends of both battery cables.

There is an important ground bolted to the thermostat housing. Unbolt that, clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sand paper, then reattach.

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 PM

not yet, but im learning that you realy cant own an older honda without one.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

does anyone know how to bench test an altenator in a 93 accord lx 2.2 while its still in the car?

Old 06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a half-@$$ way to check. Fail this and the alternator has problems. Pass this test and maybe your alternator has a more subtle kind of failure.

Measure battery voltage at the battery posts - should be 12.5-ish.

Start the engine & let it idle - should be 14-ish.

Turn on EVERYTHING electrical that you can think of. Headlights, rear-defogger, stereo, have someone run the windows up & down while you measure - STILL should be 14-ish but more important should be about the same as idling without all the electrical loads.

Turn off all the electrical stuff. Hold the engine at say 3000rpm. Still should be 14-ish.

Problems would be voltage dropping low when there's a lot of electrical loads.
Or voltage getting too high when you rev the engine.