General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 1997 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Electrical Problem 1997 Accord

I just picked up a 1997 Accord LX to be my daughter's first car.

One of the previous owners had a remote starter installed, but there are no key fobs and the system is unplugged under the dash. If there was a way to find out and get fobs for it, I would probably keep it installed and use it. But I think I'm going to remove it all and clean it all out of there.

But, my problem is this...............and it could be related to the above.

The drivers door switch doesn't activate the entry light, the drivers window switch doesn't work, but the drivers rear window switch opens the drivers window. And in turn, the drivers rear window doesn't open at all. The drivers door courtesy light in the bottom doesn't work either.

So, I'm wondering if the remote start stuff could have something to do with the above problem?

I'm going to examine things tomorrow and see what I can find. It's a pretty weird problem, but maybe someone on here has seen it before.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by maineultraclassic; 10-27-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I would get the car back to stock wiring by removing that remote starter. Then check to see what components are not working properly.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.
I'm going to work on it today in the garage and see what I can figure out with it.

Steve

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Most of the wiring for those things are pretty simple. As has already been said get it back to stock and see whats working. Then if they still don't work pop off the door panel and see whats going on behind there.

Good idea on wanting to take it out though, I learned the hard way when I bought a car with one and it later caught fire going down the highway due to faulty DIY wiring.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

To help with the wire diagrams, suggest you get a manual. In the Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section has a link where you can download one....the one for the 94 will be fine - same gen.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, been busy this morning.

Remote start system is removed and gone. It was actually all disconnected under the dash, just a bunch of wires all around.

I found that the door switch on the drivers door was dirty, so I cleaned that up and the lights are working fine now.

I'm now removing the door panel, I see some messed up work when I removed the window switch assembly. Some cut wires, some spliced wires.............something's not right. So I'm getting in there, matching up the wire colors and reconnecting everything stock. Then see what's going on.

I have the manual downloaded, so off I go.

Steve

Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so it's definitely the master switch. All the wiring is back to stock, all the windows work fine except for the drivers. It will go down, but won't go back up.

They had wired the drivers window to the rear window switch, so once I fixed that the rear window worked fine.

Now I need to jump some wires to get the drivers window back up until I get a new switch. Anyone know which wires I jump? I'm going to do some searching now.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Down:
GRN/WHT TO RED/BLU(1)
RED/YEL(1) TO BLK(2)

Up:
GRN/WHT TO RED/YEL(1)
RED/BLU(1) TO BLK(2)

Try cleaning the contacts on the switch....many times dirt will get in there preventing the contact.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Or to the motor .....use this

Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 1997 Accord-5th-gen-window-test-drivers.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Took the master switch apart and cleaned the contacts. Man, they were nasty!!
The windows still open/close very slow..........so maybe the tracks need to be lubed up.

But, all windows are working correctly.........all lights are working correctly......and the remote start crap is gone.

Now for tires and an alignment.......the only 2 things left it needs.

Steve

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1997 Accord