General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought a 98 Accord EX MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 PM
Default Just bought a 98 Accord EX MT

Hi guys.... Just got a 98 Accord EX with MT. Has 152k miles. It's not drivable but can run the engine, looks good and well taken care of. The MT is shot according to the seller, I'm hoping it's just a clutch replacement that would do the trick. I'm having its timing belt done with water pump replacement as well. It already have four new shocks, new brakes/rotor, new spark plugs and wiring. Anything else I need to do while it's being worked on?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 AM

Have the cam seal looked at and replaced if it looks damp. Might as well replace the distributor o-ring. Inspect the front lower ball joints in particular. I assume they will check the main nose bearing in the transmission, if not have the check it. I also assume they will be checking the master and slave cylinder for the clutch. Assuming the body is in good condition you have scored one of the best Accords on the road based on engine type and the fact that it is a manual.

Be sure when the car is back in your hands to wax it well, especially if it is black or gold colored as there seems to be an issue will the clear coat. So wax it and protect it and you should have a great car for many years to come.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a mechanic friend doing this for me. He said as he removed the tires, the wheel bearing all fell apart as well as the lower ball joint. Am having both done on front end. The clutch has been replaced. Might have it ready by Friday. Yes, the body paint has heavy paint oxidation all around with champagne color. Plan to use clay bar the first thing prior to polish and wax. looking forward for this!

Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 AM

Have fun. I also forgot to mention taking a look at the outer CV boots for cracks. If they are cracking it would be worth replacing just the boots with Honda boots. Boot kits should run about 30 dollars a side if you end up needing them. Kits come with grease, clamps and obviously the boot.

Old 08-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Turtlehead
Have the cam seal looked at and replaced if it looks damp. Might as well replace the distributor o-ring. Inspect the front lower ball joints in particular. I assume they will check the main nose bearing in the transmission, if not have the check it. I also assume they will be checking the master and slave cylinder for the clutch. Assuming the body is in good condition you have scored one of the best Accords on the road based on engine type and the fact that it is a manual.

Be sure when the car is back in your hands to wax it well, especially if it is black or gold colored as there seems to be an issue will the clear coat. So wax it and protect it and you should have a great car for many years to come.
Why do you think it's one of the best accords on the road. I have a 99 accord MT with 160k on it.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by denierlexiese
Why do you think it's one of the best accords on the road. I have a 99 accord MT with 160k on it.

Thanks!!!
Generations ago, Accord with 4 cyl and manual were common, and rose Honda into one of the top car manufacturer in world. In America, majority of driver prefer automatic so lot of them are ignorance. In fact, manual makes the car drive better, and generate more power than the identical Accord with auto. Research proves that the Accord 4cyl auto isn't as reliable and robust as the same 4 cyl with manual.

Funny, I used to own the same 98 Accord MT back in 2001, kept for 6 years before trading it off with 140k miles. I loved the car, and now years later, I'm in a situation where I get to pick an older car. Decided to get the 6th gen Accord with 2.3 and manual again. I'm excited about owning one again.

Last edited by dilas; 08-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM

Update:
Went to pick up my Accord from mechanic friend. The clutch has been replaced along with timing belt with water pump, and front end system (wheel bearing, tie rod, and ball joints) on both sides. The first three speeds on MT works fine, but not the last two with 4th and 5th gear. It doesn't move the car after 3rd speed.
What does that mean? Tranny bad or just couple gears inside MT?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:46 PM

"The first three speeds on MT works fine, but not the last two with 4th and 5th gear. It doesn't move the car after 3rd speed."

Can you get it into 4th & 5th gears? Or is it that once it's in gear there is no drive to the wheels? Does the tachometer show an increase in RPM while in 4th & 5th?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Right, it's no drive to the wheels and the tacho needle shows RPM running. At fourth gear, it's hard to get to the gear but when I do, rpm runs but no drive. Thinking that the gears are bad?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dilas
Right, it's no drive to the wheels and the tacho needle shows RPM running. At fourth gear, it's hard to get to the gear but when I do, rpm runs but no drive. Thinking that the gears are bad?
Time for a new gearbox.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 98 Accord EX MT