General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key or ignition switch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Key or ignition switch problem?

A couple months now when I go to start our 99 honda accord sometimes it wont turn over and the the green key light flashes on the dash ,I pull the key out and try again sometimes it starts and sometimes all the lights on the dash blink frantically. I take the key out and try again ...it does start eventually and while this doesnt always happen it does seem to be more often lately. Twice it has turned off while driving down the road. This is my husbands daily car he drives it 5 days a week about 50 miles round trip and he has never had this happen, never.The only difference is I never take his key because it has his office key on it I only use my key. We were about to have the ignition switch replaced when I remembered ya'll helped me sort things out be for and thought I would get your opinion if it could be my key? So I guess my question is Do key's go bad?
Thank-you all very much for you time.
...Tiana

Old 11-18-2011, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I would see if the problem happens at all when using the other key before jumping to any conclusions.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for your quick reply. Now that the car is home I will use the other key all weekend and let you know how it turns out. I was just wondering if something could go bad with a key?

I'll be sure to let ya'll know which ever way it turns out.

Thank-you

Old 11-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

The key has an electronic chip that emits a radio signal for your car to recognize. I have not heard of them going bad, but it is an electronic component and could go bad.

If the problem does not happen with the good key, then I would assume that your other key is bad and should be replaced. The dealership will likely have to program the key. You may want to search the web to see if there is another method to program a new key.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just figured if this never happens when my husband is driving the only difference was the key so starting yesterday I'm only using his key and I had no problem starting the car yesterday. I'm just going to run my local errands in her this weekend and see how it goes. I'll keep in touch.

Thank you for you time and input

Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

update,

She is still running with no problems with the the good key.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Today the car started with the good key and quit with in seconds of starting, took the key out put it back in and started it a second time and it quit with in seconds again. Took the key out and the third time it stayed running. So she must be needing a new something. What do ya'll think? Thanks in advance for your time.

...Tiana

Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while the car is running?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have not tried that, I can do that when the car gets home tonight. I did clean the key off with a soft cloth and a touch of alcohol I did not get the key wet just cleaned the silver part and the key worked fine last night . I think I was just lucky it worked fine. What ever it is it seems to be going slowly. I'll try your suggestion tonight.

Again Thank you for your time

Last edited by Tiana 99 accord coupe; 12-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I couldnt get it to stall by shaking the key. However while I was driving home tonight the car just stalled while I was driving down the highway I put the flashers on and I pulled over (not so easy without the power in the middle of an intersection making a U turn) and restarted with no trouble at all, except for the car that almost plowed into the rear of my car.

Thanks for your input.

...Tiana

Quick Reply: Key or ignition switch problem?