General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Default key light?

i have a 99 accord and just got a new ecu for it but the green key light is on so the car will not start. what can i do to fix it?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Get the VIN from the car the ECU came out of. 98-up have immobilizer chips in the key, you need to get new keys or reprogram your keys to work with the new ECU. Honda might be able to do it from the serial number on the ECU as well... but the keys definitely need to be reprogrammed either way.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM

the key that we have don't have any chips in the key but it's also worn out but it works, and so do our all metal keys work as well. and non are chipped. And we went to honda and they said that the ecu should work fine when you plug it in. that there shoulden't need to be any programming.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

The green key light means there IS an immobilizer. Ask the dealer to explain why he thinks there isn't.

So you have keys that WORK, including all-metal keys with no plastic head? They start the engine?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:02 AM

Exactly, my green light blinks when I insert the key and when I remove it, to show that the immobilizer is working.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The green key light means there IS an immobilizer. Ask the dealer to explain why he thinks there isn't.

So you have keys that WORK, including all-metal keys with no plastic head? They start the engine?

Ever since i got the car i have had metal key, I never got an original honda key. And i got spared keys made and they all work, But also when i start the car the key just comes and the car still on.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Using your metal key (with the old ECU) the engine would start while the green key lamp stayed ON? Strange, I thought that lamp flashed & turned off when it's working properly. Maybe someone disabled the immobilizer, but I'm not sure how.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but didn't seem worthy of a new one...

I don't know if I'm just trippin, or what; but when I remove my key after turning the engine off my immobilizer lamp flashes a few times... Is this normal? For the life of me, I can't ever remember seeing this before today.

It still starts the car just fine, so I'm thinking it's normal, indicating functionality (since it does stop after 3-4 flashes). I would suspect if it KEPT flashing, then it's NOT working (i.e., faulty antenna, or faulty chip in the key).

Can someone verify this for me?

Old 03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Your key is working, so the imobilizer is working properly.

It flashes a few times on my car when I remove my key. I think that the owner's manual says something about the imobilizer light. It will probably describe the normal function of that light, then tell you to get the car serviced if the imobilizer light does something different.

Post back and let us know what you find in the owner's manual.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I kinda remember it flashing so I bet it's normal. But normally it doesn't STAY on all the time.

Quick Reply: key light?