General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lacquer thinner in gas tank fixes inefficient cat converter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Default Lacquer thinner in gas tank fixes inefficient cat converter?

Hi Guys,

So I reset my CEL (code P0430) about 500 miles ago, and now it's back. I wanted to change the upstream O2 sensor like some suggested in the past, but I could not for the life of me pull the sensor's connector out of the socket. I was hoping that it was the O2 sensor, not the cat converter, that caused the CEL to come up.

Then I ran into this video by Scotty Kilmer on youtube which shows him pouring a gallon of lacquer thinner in a half-full gas tank. He suggests after running the engine at 35000 RPM for 30 mins, the cat should be cleaned out. (He never explains how lacquer thinner cleans the cat after going through the engine and evaporating!)

Lots of opinions on the net - some say it's worked for them. I only found one person saying it didn't work. What about you guys? Anyone here tried this?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Is your code P0420? Just want to make sure it is the cat below threshold.

I saw that video. He did it on an 04-05 TSX in the video, so it was a honda engine.

Just make sure you use the 100% lacquer thinner.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM

The code is P0430, not P0420. So it is the bank 2 cat that is the problem. Are you implying that this lacquer thinner method is only meant to fix the P0420 issue, not P0430?

By the way, any tip on unhooking the O2 sensor's plastic eletrical connector? (See attached picture) I know it's a stupid question (how do I open a jar?) but just in case there's a trick I don't know :P I tried pressing on the lever and pulling out at the same time, but it is hooked pretty well in there. Maybe I'll try it when the weather gets a bit warmer and I'll have better luck.

Attached Thumbnails Lacquer thinner in gas tank fixes inefficient cat converter?-imag0179.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't pay attention that your car is a V6. You have a catalytic converter on both sides of the engine and maybe a third converter on the exhaust pipe. The code is specific for one of the catalytic converters, so that trick could stil work. Let us know if this fixes your car.

As for the O2 sensor, I would spray some WD-40 before you try to push the tab to remove the connector. Sometimes they get frozen on a bit. There is also a rubber seal inside the connector that makes it air tight, so you have a a vacuum when trying to unplug the sensor.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks, will do

Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It is usually easier to separate the connector from the support stab, then disconnect by holding both sides. The release for the connector stab usually is pushed away from the stab to release, allowing the connector to slide of the stab.

WD40 should help, but these can be mean sometimes.

good luck

Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Thanks. I just bought a direct fit denso upstream sensor plus a bottle of WD-40 from advanceautoparts. (did you know there's a $50 off $150 coupon? amazing! much cheaper than amazon with the coupon.)

Gonna work on replacing the sensor this holiday weekend. Then I'm going to try the cataclean stuff next, before I resort to the lacquer thinner.

Happy holiday everyone!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 PM

pepboys cataclean..works

Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ hey hybridowner, rather than fix it via two methods (sensor replacement & & gasoline additives) at same time,
how about you do the gasoline additive routes first (new info to me) and see if they work, so the rest of us will know ... thanks

if they do, you can return the parts...

Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM

If you're going to put all of that through the exhaust system, I would do it BEFORE putting the nice new sensor in.. that way you won't mess the new one up with all of that stuff

Quick Reply: Lacquer thinner in gas tank fixes inefficient cat converter?