General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking gas tank :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
jmakkinga
Unregistered
Default Leaking gas tank :(

Hello everyone! New to the site I have a few questions with my poor Accord which has been super reliable for me.
I have a 1996 Accord LX w/ 2.2L non-VTEC.

First question is: How do I locate the source of my leaky gas tank... I've been under the car looking for the source, but seems to be coming from the top of the tank if that's possible? I know it's leaking because I can smell gas, see a drip, and can hear it bubbling out (the same kind of bubbling sound from a leaky tire).

Next question: How do I determine whether or not my head gasket is finished. Here are some of my symptoms. I have been going through oil say about 4L every 1000miles. It doesn't seem to be leaking as I have looked for any wet spots - nothing. I have parked on fresh snow and no drips.. I looked in my coolant overflow tank, and it seems to have oil in it! Also, there is oil in the sparkplug tubes... Any ideas?? Thanks alot!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Leaking gas tank :(

The leaky gas tank could be bad connections (filler, vent line,or vapor containment system) or simply a crack on topside of tank. Diagnosis will require examining the tank w/ the car elevated on jack stands so you can see the connections. Crack seems less likely but possible. It may ultimately require removal of the tank to repair.

Oil in coolant system is definitive indication of bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Either way head needs to be removed and refurbished (w/ an inspection of head for cracks).

Oil in spark plug wells simply means the spark plug tube seals need to be replaced. It is not related to oil in coolant.

good luck