General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Trans

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Default Leaking Trans

Hello! My apologies if this has already been addressed ( not able to find thread if it exists). My 96 accord lx has a small trans leak. It's a VERY slow, small leak. However, i wanted to know if there are options that I can look into before I take it to my mechanic. TIA

Old 08-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Automatic or manual trans?
There's always the option of keep adding fluid. Easy with the automatic, because there's a dipstick. On the manual you have to remove the fill plug & check whether the fluid is up to the level of the hole then add until it is.

The REAL answer for your question depends on exactly where it's leaking from. That can be as simple as unbolt a solenoid & replace a gasket. Or maybe the worst possibility is a leaking input-shaft seal requiring you remove the transmission to replace that seal.

Can you narrow down the location of the leak?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Automatic or manual trans?
There's always the option of keep adding fluid. Easy with the automatic, because there's a dipstick. On the manual you have to remove the fill plug & check whether the fluid is up to the level of the hole then add until it is.

The REAL answer for your question depends on exactly where it's leaking from. That can be as simple as unbolt a solenoid & replace a gasket. Or maybe the worst possibility is a leaking input-shaft seal requiring you remove the transmission to replace that seal.

Can you narrow down the location of the leak?
I have an auto trans. The leaks seem to be coming from 2 small bolts on the trans (not the trans plug)...but on the same side as trans bolt

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

You mean the same side as the transmission drain plug? If you can point out the leak on one of these parts pictures??

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ission-housing
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ght-side-cover

Old 08-28-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by rwyatt80
I have an auto trans. The leaks seem to be coming from 2 small bolts on the trans (not the trans plug)...but on the same side as trans bolt
You mean the same side as the transmission drain plug? If you can point out the leak on one of these parts pictures??

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ission-housing
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...ght-side-cover
Does this help???

Old 08-28-2018, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

To me it looks like it's leaking somewhere up higher, and running down to the low point where it collects enough to see it. I think you need to get some degreaser, clean the trans pretty good, and look for the fresh oil leaking to really see where it's coming from.

First look for the highest place that's oily. That'll give you a place to start looking after you clean it.

When you find it, I may not be able to help much. I'm not an auto-trans guru, so I might not know if it's safe to remove any particular bolt & put sealant around it.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Agreed. Higher up. Once clean, sprinkle some baby or talc powder on it, to see where the leak comes from.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:33 PM

There's always the option of keep adding fluid. Easy with the automatic ...
Hands down would be my approach.
Check fluid level in spring / fall, or more often if the spirit moves you.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

That kinda depends on how fast it's leaking. I would still want to KNOW where it's leaking before I made that decision.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:28 PM

You are a careful man, hat off to you. His is an old car. like mine.
He says: "My 96 accord lx has a small trans leak. It's a VERY slow, small leak."

So not a driveability problem!

Quick Reply: Leaking Trans