General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky axle at tranny housing, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Default Leaky axle at tranny housing, any ideas?

A while back I changed both my axles on my 96'do to worn out CV joints. Ever sence then my passenger side axle leaks right at the housing. I've pulled the axle three different times sence then trying to fix it and can't get it to stop. I've tried changing the seal three times. The last time was done with the tranny out when I changed my clutch. The odd thing of all is that the leak comes and goes. I thought I ay have overfilled it the first time cause I heard your suppose to fill the tranny with the car level. Sence then I've filled it jacked up in the front and it still leaks. I'm lost. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Leaky axle at tranny housing, any ideas?

So is the seal that you mentioned the rubber one that fits in the tranny housing?

Have you tried replacing the snap ring (set ring in the shop manual) on the end of the CV joint with a new one? I would imagine if that was worn out or damaged when you installed it could cause a leak. If that doesn't fix it, then maybe the CV joint you put in there was bad. Was it a remanned CV joint?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:38 PM

Yeah the seal I changed was the rubber one that seats in the housing. And yeahI do believe the axles I got were remans. I got them at NAPA. I called them up and told them what was going on and of course they said there couldn't be anything wrong with the axle, but if I was unsure of course I could come down and buy another one. And about the snap ring, I have no idea what it's purpose is so it could be worth a shot I guess. Is that something I could pick up at a parts store?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would call the dealership to get one. It looks like they are $0.50 a piece according to hondapartsdeals.com.

If the dealership doesn't stock them, then they can get one within a day. Its not worth ordering online, because the shipping will cost more than the part. I attached the installation instructions of the CV joint.

Hopefully other members will voice their opinion, so you can do more diagnosis while you are in there.

Good Luck.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM

Right on, thank you. The whole tear apart and install process is easy, I'm just lost at the fact it still leaks. But if a snap ring is that cheap, it's worth a shot, it wouldn't take long to do. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

No problem. I hope that it helps.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your message is slightly confusing. Is axle boot leaking grease or differential shaft seal leaking lubricant?

If the transmission seal is leaking, I would check the axle for play by pushing the axle up/down at the interface to the differential housing. I have read from others that a worn bearing supporting the axle shaft will cause wobbling that leads to leaking of differential lube. I think was particularly a problem on 98-01 models.

good luck

Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM

My bad. It's leaking fluid from the differential housing. That is just another way of saying tranny housing isn't it? I'm probably wrong, but yeah it's fluid, not grease from the boot. And if I do have some kind of a bearing issue, are you talking bearings inside the CV joint or something inside the tranny?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Inside the tranny.

Drive up on ramps, if you have them. Lifting on jack stands leaves the suspension extended and the axle at a bigger angle.

Grab the inner driver - that's the big-end of the inboard CV joint, actually the same piece of metal that sticks INTO the tranny.

Try to move it up & down, as if you were trying to bend the little end of theshaft that sticks into the tranny. It should probably have less than 1/2 mm of play measured at the big clamp of the CV boot.

If it moves too much, the seal has a real tough time following the motion of the shaft & so it wears out quickly.

If you take the axle out, be sure to check the surface where the seal rides. It must be real smooth, shiny, polished. No corrosion or pitting left over from wherever the reman core came from.

Finally, I dont know the exact configuration of the seal. Is it possible to push the seal in too far when installing it? Not far enough?

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Heres a question to think about, I really dont know the answer.

If a core comes back to the reman place with a rough sealing surface, do they polish it to clean it up? It is possible for them to remove enough material that the seal NOW has to seal against a surface of a slightly smaller diameter?

And a question for you to think back to when you installed the seal & axle...

The spline on the end of the axle might be able to scratch the surface of the seal if youre clumsy pushing it into the tranny. The lip of the seal cant be torn or damaged or itll leak.

Quick Reply: Leaky axle at tranny housing, any ideas?