General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Legality of rolling odometer back or forward (Bad cluster)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Default Legality of rolling odometer back or forward (Bad cluster)

I just replaced the VSS and I'm still having the odometer/speedo issue. My next step is to check the solder points and take care of that.

This is more or less a worst case scenario question. If by any chance I have to replace the cluster gauges, what's legal and what's not? The odometer stopped at around 106.5k miles, and most of the ones I've found on ebay and at the junkyard have a whole heck of a lot more miles on them.

The title says 106,250 miles when I bought it in February of this year. IF I do sell the car in the future, I don't want to deceive the buyer.

Would taking it to a reputable garage and have them roll it back/forward be legal?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Since your odometer mileage is already not actual, it should be disclosed as not actual mileage on the DMV disclosure statement when selling.

Technically, not legal to roll backward/forward; unless, it is a service, repair, or replacement where the odometer is reset to zero and a written notice (e.g., sticker) is attached to the left door frame of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement. In this case, if you reset to zero, you would probably list the last reading; but, still state not actual mileage on the notice.

"http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/49c327.txt"

Old 08-09-2013, 01:22 PM

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

if you buy a used cluster, document the date purchased, the mileage and the mileage when the old one stopped working. usually can do this on the receipt you receive. no shop i know of (legitimate anyways) would roll a speedo back and most if not all speedos nowadays are tamper proof...except for...

Attached Thumbnails Legality of rolling odometer back or forward (Bad cluster)-speedo.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

What is the speedometer doing?

Another option is to swap the circuit board from the replacement speedometer to the original one.

I sent mine to a speedometer repair shop I found online to repair my 95 speedometer.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

from the exploded view of the cluster, it looks like the speedo can be transferred to a new/used cluster, retaining the mileage...if it's not the problem.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Either the speedo head or the speedo circuit board can be transferred.

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - Speedo Works randomly

Here is the odometer reset close to zero.

Attached Thumbnails Legality of rolling odometer back or forward (Bad cluster)-speedometer.jpg  
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
if you buy a used cluster, document the date purchased, the mileage and the mileage when the old one stopped working. usually can do this on the receipt you receive. no shop i know of (legitimate anyways) would roll a speedo back and most if not all speedos nowadays are tamper proof...except for...
The 5th gen odometer can be rolled........... Don't know how i know that..........

Old 08-09-2013, 04:15 PM

Just remember, your car's computer continues to register your mileage. Most state DMV offices have forms to fill out certificating odometer changes.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fvansan
Just remember, your car's computer continues to register your mileage.
Not true. The ECM/PCM has nothing to do with the odometer or mileage on the 5th gen Accord. The ECM/PCM on the OBD-I 5th gen Accord were fairly rudimentary compared to more modern PCM/ECM.

Even on the newer Hondas, the mileage is written/stored in the gauge control module (instrument cluster). On the Hondas with the Maintenance Minder, the Maintenance Minder information is stored in the ECM/PCM (car’s computer) and in the gauge control module (instrument gauge unit). The ECM/PCM calculates and keeps track of the oil life, while the gauge control module handles the service items. The ECM/PCM for the newer Hondas does register some mileage related info; but, to change the odometer reading requires accessing and re-writing to the gauge control module.

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-09-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added info.

Quick Reply: Legality of rolling odometer back or forward (Bad cluster)