General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Talk GAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Default Let's Talk GAS

No, not the kind you get from certain foods, but good old pushwater for the buggy.

I've tried several brands and octanes, and still am unsettled on a certain type giving it the best performance and economy edge. To refresh, mine is the Honda Accord V-6 Hybrid, 2005.

I've seen it do well with Shell for a long time. When it was not broken in, it seemed to do better with Shell 91 octane, and lousy with 87, for performance. While still not totally broken in, I've seen it do fantastic with Exxon 93 octane in winter, but come summer, the stuff kind of bogged it down. Now that it's broken in, I'm not sure about any of it. There are times, I think low octane Shell is good for regular acceleration, but not as great for full throttle. I now have some Exxon 93 in it, but on the full tank, it seemed no better than any other. As usual, as it's gotten to half a tank, it is improving.

There are a lot of different brands of gas in different states, but I try to stick with a good detergent fuel as the book recommends. What have any of you found to be best with this type engine? It's time for another fillup, as I don't like to let it get much lower than half before refilling. I may flip a coin this time as to brand and octane. No great dramaticimprovement for very long, no matter what I try, it seems.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Let's Talk GAS

I use 87 its not that poor but its all i can afford, with gas prices the way they are
Reg-3.23 Plus 3.33 Those are the only two i use, performance wise use the higher octance its what Honda recommends.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM

I used 87 in my 94 civic (32 mpg achieved), 94 accord (35 mpg achieved on a road trip), 81 Civic (32 mpg avg. drive to work) so every honda I've had I got GREAT mileage out of the base octane stuff. I'd run at least 2-3 tanks of 87 through and check your economy, then try something higher for 2-3 tanks if you want to know for sure. However, I'm pretty certain that you'll find the 87 performs just as well as a 91 or 93. Each vehicle is a little different so for dead on readings you're going to have to do some independt tests. As for a rule of thumb I've used nothing but 87 in every honda I've owned.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:32 PM

your hybrid won't gain anything from gasoline with higher octane over 87, other than supposed cleaning detergents. a bottle of heat would be fine every year or bg 44k(if you use this your car will feel like a rocket)

Old 12-29-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks, guys-

Guess I'll just hang with 87. I'm not familiar with the Heat stuff, Hondatech. I do run something called SeaFoam through it about every 3 to 4kmiles. Fill me in about Heat.

Thanks-

Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 PM

Heat is a fuel addative most commonly used for removing water from gas lines and tanks.

BG 44k
http://www.bgfindashop.com/44K.htm?g...FQcugwodBGU9Ww

Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 PM

yeah, i meant the heat with the additives, i think it'sa yellow bottle? i forgot.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Gas about gasoline.

1. The auto engineers have said for years that there is no advantage in using octane above the recommended.

2. The oil companys do occasionaly trade gasoline.

3. Detergent gas may be usefull if you have dirty injectors.

4. The recovered gas (from the nozzle return to storage tank)
is of course a blend of several octanes. This is reused and is almost pure profit. I assume it is sold as the lower octane.

5. I assume the gas in your area is part ethanol. Ethanol has 1/3 less energy per gallon of ethanol than petrol.

6. Your driving habits are your best bet for good mileage.
Brands do not matter much unless some out of the way station sells you a slug of water.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 AM

Would using a higher octane be better for an engine in terms of keeping it running well? Would it be better to use a higher octane in a car with high miles?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:11 AM

I have a car with high Mileage....Im running about 180,000 miles +.
I recommend using 87 its the best bet. The higher octane gases are just very high priced.
Some think they burn better and others think that what they need to keep the engine running smoothe but i think 87 is Good enough.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk GAS