General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

location of 2009 automatic transmission fluid plug

Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Default location of 2009 automatic transmission fluid plug

I was able to locate the plug, with with square hole in it; but it was located behind the large piece of plastic sheet under the car.

It is facing the passenger side. It was very tight. I can reach from behind the plastic, but cannot unscrew it because very room to work with and it was very tight.

Is this specially designed to prevent non-professionals from doing the work on the auto trans fluid?

I may take a picture next time.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

I assume you have a 4 cylinder Accord (U.S.) based on your description. The cut-out on the plastic splash shield for the 4 cylinders did not fully align with the automatic transmission drain bolt. Unless you are willing to cut larger the opening, you would normally remove the splash shield, IIRC there are 16 plastic clips holding the splash shield. Don't attempt to take off the entire splash shield until you remove all the clips (count them after you removed them all to make sure); otherwise, you may rip off part of the splash shield. Some people do end up cutting part of the opening so they don't always have to remove the splash shield for draining.

The splash shield cut-out for the V6 lines up properly to allow draining the fluid without removing the splash shield.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM

Thanks a lot. It was very helpful. I cut a little into the position of the plug with a tiny saw and was able to unscrew the plug; although it took a very great effort to do it.

The fluid still look clean at nearly 50k miles. Because of my father's health situation, I drove him to the hospital so frequently that I accumulated so much mileage in such a short time.

Yes my car is V4, automatic transmission.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 AM

Hi Kzhou, Do you mind share some of the photos of the cut splash shield? I am facing the same issue now. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I just changed trans fluid on Acura TSX last weekend and dropped the splashshield. There are a number of plastic locking pins. They are removed by prying top up slightly w/ small screwdriver. Spray w/ WD40 before attempting to remove. Expect to damage 1-2, so suggest ordering a few spares (1/2 dozen) in advance. You can find them on ebay at reasonable prices. Honda is very proud of theirs.

Car needs to elevated on a ramp to do this job.

I think this is same engine as Accord (2.4L I4 Vtec). I don't see how you could do this w/ splashshield in place w/o a large mess.

good luck

Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Here's how I did it. When I made the cut-out on the splash shield, I first used masking tape to make the outline I wanted to cut away. Then I took off the splash shield and used a saw to cut away the plastic. Easier to cut away the plastic when the shield is off, without worries of the saw blade accidentally cutting into the transmission casing.

This picture shows the splash shield with the cut-out to allow the 3/8" drive ratchet enough room to pivot and swing, and allow the fluid to come out without getting all over the splash shield.

Attached Thumbnails location of 2009 automatic transmission fluid plug-splash-shield-cut-out.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

In this picture, the area in green shows which part of the plastic was cut away.

Attached Thumbnails location of 2009 automatic transmission fluid plug-splash-shield-cut-out-outline.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You must change your AT fluid frequently.

I was changing my TSX for first time at 60K miles. ATF looked very good. It does call for changes at 30K interval for future.

good luck

Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

I change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles, which sometimes comes around really fast for me. It's always clean; but, I always been a stickler when it comes to maintenance on my own cars. I also only use Honda parts and fluids on my Hondas, even the extra plastic clips I bought were from Honda (but bought at discount through an online Honda dealer); lol.

Edit: The exception to using Honda fluids on my car would be synthetic motor oil, which I get from Walmart.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-22-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with my friend.....I change the trans fluid in the 95 Auto every ~15K with Honda fluid....of course it has just over 376K on it . I did the Pilot at 60K, got it with ~40K. It will be done every 30K for the future until it "gets up there", then they will come more often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: location of 2009 automatic transmission fluid plug