General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lock and Shift solenoid on 1996 accord a/t

Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Exclamation Lock and Shift solenoid on 1996 accord a/t

hello HAF. i have a 1996 honda accord lx 4cyl a/t with 182,000, i just recently purchased the car. about 3months ago. when i got the car, the transmission shifts a little hard and shifts around 2500-2800rpm bet ween gears. btw, my transmission is a reman, the previous owner didnt tell me but i found a small filter from the oil cooler to transmission.

things done to improve transmission shifting:

- drain coolant twice and refilled
- drain and refill 4 times with honda dw1 atf

shifting is better know but not great. can this be caused by a clogged solenoid perhaps?

i tried searching for a step by step process on taking the solenoid out and cleaning them but to no avail, so maybe some of you can help me, teach me the correct way on how to take the solenoid out and how to clean them.

all replies/comments/suggestions are welcome.

thank you HAF. more power

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

All you need to do is unbolt the solenoid, then clean the metal screen (I think it is part of the gasket) with throttle body cleaner. Then clean out the inside of the solenoid if there is any debris in there.

The other thing I would do is clean the EGR ports. In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum there is a link to a procedure under the 94-97 accords.

In that common DIY thread, there is a link to online shop manuals. The honda-tech link has a 94 shop manual you can use for your 97. In there, you will find how to adjust the cable that goes from the throttle body to the transmission.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 PM

thank you for the quick response sir.

when unbolting, do i have to look out for something? maybe putting care in taking them out? or is it just like taking out the intake box unscrew then pull out?

thank you again for suggesting that, i actually have in my to-do list for this weekend. since you mentioned about the EGR ports, is it safe to clean the EGR valve too?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

I never owned an AT Honda, but I think it just bolts to the transmission. Remove the bolts, unplug the solenoid electrical connector, then pull out the solenoid assembly. It is pretty straightforward.

Try not to drop anything into the transmission with the solenoid removed. Maybe put a shop towel over the opening.

You can clean the EGR valve, but the ports are what typically get clogged and can cause a problem. One of the 12mm bolts on the EGR valve is a bit difficult to access.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM

thanks again. this site is really awesome.

i will update this thread once get done with all the cleaning. i hope this is all that it needs (cleaning)

for the solenoids, should I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner?

more power HAF

Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

I would use throttle body cleaner (carb cleaner that is safer for electrical components).

Old 09-01-2012, 02:33 AM

When i clean the egr valve am i required to replace the gasket too?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

For the egr - most of the time it is the "ports" not the valve that needs to be cleaned. The egr chamber does have a metal gasket - most of the time it can be re-used.

I would highly suggest new "upper o-rings" for the injectors. Apply a "dab" of silicone paste to them - this helps the rail slide back on.

If you pull the egr valve, then yes get a new gasket. Also be careful as one of the nuts holding it is at an "odd" angle - you don't want to round that nut off.

For the shifting - I would also suggest you inspect the throttle control cable for proper adjustment and movement.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the reply sir.

Should the o-ring be oem honda? The dealership in my place is about 50miles away. I was thinking maybe i could use any from the local part store?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

The parts stores might have "seal kits" for the injectors.....this would have all of them (4 in total I think?)...they might have "generic o-rings" but again you want to get the right size (7.3 X 2.2).

So it will be your call. Again, some will/do re-use the o-rings.......you can get away with that sometimes - I'm just one that knows these things are old (years and miles) and a leaking o-ring will cause issues.

Again if you are going to do all of this and not in a rush - why not just get the new seals for the solenoids and injectors from the dealer in the next week or two and then you know that you have everything on hand when you decide to do the work.

Your call at the end of the day, just a suggestion from me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lock and Shift solenoid on 1996 accord a/t