General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Join an Accord Group

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 03:18 PM
Default Looking to Join an Accord Group

So, it looks like next Friday I will be picking up this older 1991 Accord with the 5-speed in Butt-Nasty Brown for $850:

I've never owned a Honda before, but I've had Nissans forever.

Is this a good group for older Accords?

What should I look out for before taking ownership of the Accord?

What are some typical issues these older style cars are known for?

I'd rather not do any modifications to it. It is just going to be my daily, low dollar, driver to and from work (45-miles away).

Attached Thumbnails Looking to Join an Accord Group-01313_geaopqwmurf_600x450.jpg  

Last edited by jp2code; 12-07-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Welcome to the forum, JP

The same rules apply to buying a pre-owned Accord as they would with any other vehicle.

Yes, there are a lot of Honda knowledgeable people here in this forum, regardless of the model year

Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 PM

Welcome. Brown is back!

Old 12-07-2015, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Prospector
The same rules apply to buying a pre-owned Accord as they would with any other vehicle.
The Nissan Hardbody has a few things to keep an eye out for. They have interference heads, so keeping up with the timing chain (4-cyl) or timing belt (V6) is crucial. Also, there is a spot in the wiring where the manufacturer connected a splice by twisting the 3 wires together. It is a known cause of intermittent problems that is difficult to diagnose. A small dab of solder fixes the issue forever.

I also have an old Harley-Davidson. The fuse box contacts are known to have poor insulation from the weather. New owners know nothing about this, and they often come to our forum asking why their motorcycle is acting up. Hit the fuses with a bit of emery cloth, apply some dielectric grease, and that is no longer anything to worry about.

I understand it is a combustion engine that takes gasoline and requires periodic oil changes.

I'm looking to learn what items to pay attention to. Common "gotcha" items, so to speak.

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just explaining.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

4th gen Accords (90-93) are pretty well built. Yours or the one you are looking at is a manual....so that takes any "watch out for auto trans issues"....so regular stuff applies to the hyd clutch system just like many if not all manual trans cars.....trans fluid changes and keep up with the brake fluid in the system for the hyd.

Engine, well it will run a long time if taken care of.....yes the usual stuff - oil changes, tunes ups, ect. The 4 cyl in it is an "interference" engine so the "timing belt job" should be done every 100K~120K miles. I call it a "job" because there are a few things you are looking right at while doing the belt that...well you might as well replace since you are there.....example the water pump is driven by the timing belt so when changing the timing belt why not replace the water pump....do you really want to be back there in 5~10~15K miles because the water pump is leaking. Then there are a few oil seals and o-rings behind there as well.

From there....yea I could "nit pick" about a few little things.....the right rear taillight gasket likes to leak sometimes., valve adjustment should be checked, egr ports in the intake will clog at some point....there are others but nothing really that stands out.

Of course this is an Accord site so, take what I say for what it is. You can search threads on here and other places and that might give you a few more things.

At the end, it is up to you on what you decide.......and the best of luck in whatever that is.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-07-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 PM

Check out that ****. Super moderator, devil dog cover, North Carolina, green skivvie with digital cammies.

I had woodland cammies back when I was in. After the Gulf War, Bush Junior was cutting the military back so fast no one was able to reenlist.

I'm still active in the local chapter of the Marine Corps League, though.

I run our website: Marine Corps League :: Longview Detachment 959

Old 12-07-2015, 10:09 PM

Small world JP2(Joe). This is Charlie and I just saw you had joined this forum. Good site, I just posted my first question in anticipation in driving out to Texas from Florida. I love my Honda's. I have a 2010 V6 Accord. Had a 2009 and a 1988 CRX. All awesome!

Old 12-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Sup, Chuck!

Old 12-09-2015, 01:33 PM

Yes, you found the right forum. Of the many I've used, this one s the best!

Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Can anyone get me in touch with an admin on here?

I setup my account by using the Facebook button, but now every time I try going to another thread or trying to PM someone, I get a login prompt.

If I click the Facebook button to log in, it takes me to another page where I start the whole process again.

I would go into my control panel and create a regular login and password, but the forum is prompting me for my existing password before I can make any changes. I don't have an existing password. I used the Facebook button.

{meh!}

Quick Reply: Looking to Join an Accord Group