General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I have the defective ignition switch 00 Accord 2.3l auto.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Default Looks like I have the defective ignition switch 00 Accord 2.3l auto.......

Today I went for an extended drive, and when I came to a stop sign the car just died.

Then it would die at every stop sign. I could keep the revs up, and it would stay running [I've already cleaned the idle control sol so I don't think that is the issue].

It would start right back up, and run fine until I stopped.

Also, I did a scan, and there were no codes, except for the knock sensor, and that is due to a bad wire connection.

I read there was a recall on the ignition switch, but do you guys think Honda would honor it on a car that is 15 years old?

Or is there something else to check? The idle is set at around 800 rpms while in gear.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Just me but it sounds like something else, I wouldn't replace the ign switch at this time.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but it sounds like something else, I wouldn't replace the ign switch at this time.
I think you may be right.

I recall my ign switch in my old Ford truck going bad. The engine in the truck would just turn off, at any given time, usually not at a stop, but when the truck hit a big pothole.

Also the fact that I could rev the engine to keep it running it also, and indicator.

Question: If the idle control switch was bad wouldn't it throw a code? I did take it out about a month ago, and clean it out with carb cleaner, and compressed air.

EDIT: Looks like I didn't clean the ICS after all. It was the throttle body that I took out, and gave a through cleaning.

Last edited by M-train; 04-04-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM

If it were me I would be looking for either a cracked or disconnected vacuum line or a vacuum leak. Sometimes with the car running you can find a vacuum leak by misting each line with water and listen/feel for a change in the way the engine runs. This method works most of the time, but not always so don't assume anything if you can't get the engine to stumble. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:34 PM

Well, its idling at about 1200 rpms in park now so we know that cleaning the idle solenoid was part of the problem. {that, or like Turtlehead said, I left off a vacuum line EDIT: all lines connected, and sealed}

I know Nissan has a relearn trick you have to do with the electric throttle body [which I really HATE]. Does Honda have any relearn trick other than to just adjust the idle manually with a screwdriver?

Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 PM

There is no relearn for your car like many of the Nissans. There is likely a leak someplace. The idle should drop after the engine is at temp. Run it to temp so the fans come on and check idle. If out of spec there is likely a leak assuming there have been no mods. If it dies when at temp then it is increasingly likely there is a leak someplace. Do you have any weird light issues or engine codes because there was an issues with the drivers interior fuse panel and multiplex unit which unfortunately would cause random issues, almost no two cars the same.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I know on my 95 accord, I would have to reset the ECU after cleaning the throttle body, because I would have a high idle.

I would bleed any air out of the cooling system. See

Next I would disconnect the battery while the engine cools down. When cool, start the car and let it reach operating temperature. I'm not sure if this will help on your accord, but it is simple and worth a shot.

If your idle is still high, I'd get a spray bottle of water, then spray around the intake. If the idle changes, then you found your vacuum leak.

The engine should idle around 750 rpm.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Ok guys, I'll give it a try. Thanks.