General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosening lugnuts while wheel on ground?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Loosening lugnuts while wheel on ground?

All my life I've been removing wheels by first loosening the lugnuts with a breaker bar while the wheel is fully on the ground. But I'm seeing some people say that they do it by first using a jack to slightly raise the car so the wheel is raised but not fully off the ground before they even start loosening the lugnuts.

I'm starting to wonder if the way I do it is bad for the lug bolts and the threads on them. Without jacking the wheel up slightly the full weight on the tire would that make it harder to loosen the lugnuts and will do cause damage if the lugnuts were removed while that much weight is on the wheel?

How do you guys recommend removing wheels then? What if I were to raise the car just a bit so the tire is barely touching but enough to prevent it from spinning while I do the lug nuts. Then once they've broken loose raise the wheel off ground fully and totally loosen then. Then when putting wheel on I tighten a bit, then lower it until it's barely putting pressure on ground, tighten all the way then lower it completely.

Seems more complicated than how I usually do it. Does Honda have a recommended way anyone remembers off the top of their head? (manual in car, too far away to go check)

Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MessAround
All my life I've been removing wheels by first loosening the lugnuts with a breaker bar while the wheel is fully on the ground. But I'm seeing some people say that they do it by first using a jack to slightly raise the car so the wheel is raised but not fully off the ground before they even start loosening the lugnuts.

I'm starting to wonder if the way I do it is bad for the lug bolts and the threads on them. Without jacking the wheel up slightly the full weight on the tire would that make it harder to loosen the lugnuts and will do cause damage if the lugnuts were removed while that much weight is on the wheel?

How do you guys recommend removing wheels then? What if I were to raise the car just a bit so the tire is barely touching but enough to prevent it from spinning while I do the lug nuts. Then once they've broken loose raise the wheel off ground fully and totally loosen then. Then when putting wheel on I tighten a bit, then lower it until it's barely putting pressure on ground, tighten all the way then lower it completely.

Seems more complicated than how I usually do it. Does Honda have a recommended way anyone remembers off the top of their head? (manual in car, too far away to go check)
You're doing it correctly. ALWAYS loosen the lug nuts (or lug bolts if so equipped) a half turn or so BEFORE lifting the car.