General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loosing lots of oil!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Default loosing lots of oil!!!!!!!!

I have a 96 accord and it is loosing oil like crazy from the back of the motor not the valve cover tho. Also when i pull the spark plug boot off the spark plug they are full of oil what is needed to maby fix this?????? it went threw 4 qts. of oil on my way home from work it was leaking so bad..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Supper Moderator

if you spark plug wires are coated in oil than that is a valve cover gasket. There are a few seals on the engine that will cause to leak oil...you need to be more detailed with you post...Also plz don't post in the DIY area...read the rules and you will find out why I’m saying this...

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

ok idk its my first car so i really don't know where its coming from so if the boots are full off oil so you cant even see the plug means the valve cover gasket is needing replacing??

Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Is this an LX, DX, or EX? 4 or 6 cylinder? You should read the first thread in the gen tech help forum.

Oil in the spark plug tubes is common. You would replace the VC gasket and the four seals (if you have a 4 cyl) on the valve cover.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

yes it is a 4 cyl. lx 2.2

Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Your valve cover is on the left of the picture. A valve cover gasket "set" usually comes with everything indicated by #1. Including the round sparkplug-tube seals #7; those are probably what's leaking oil into the sparkplugs.

There's another set of seals farther down in the sparkplug holes, but it's a lot bigger job to replace those. I'd do the VC gasket & hope that fixes it. If not, let us know.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oil in the plug wire wholes isn't going to be the main cause of your oil loss. It's no doubt part of it though. If your valve cover isn't warped then you will need simply a new valve cover gasket and the 4 seals for the plug holes. Also some RTV for the seams would probably be recommended.

As for your main leak, 4 gts on your drive home? How far is the drive? More info is definitely needed. Did you have your oil change recently? Sometimes the o-ring can get pinched on the filter, or even a double o-ring situation. This will cause an extreme loss of oil though. So it depends on how fast the oil is really leaking out.

Also if your front or rear main seals pop out you will suffer a pretty substantial loss of oil. Maybe your valve cover vent tube got pinched or clogged and your got excessive crankcase pressure..

Really, we could sit here all day guessing. Give us more info.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM

Thank you ill be trying to fix them in the morning. hope it works.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

What about draker's questions? I went back to your first post - FOUR QUARTS??
There's gotta be something more going on than just the valvecover gasket.

Coming from the back side of the engine sounds a lot like the oil-filter. The old gasket sticks behind, doubles up with the new gasket, and squirts oil all over the place. There's also the oil-pressure switch back there near the filter. Those have been known to leak, but four quarts is like 3/4 of the oil that's in the engine. There's gotta be more before you're done.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM

Its not the filter... the cam or the crank seals are leaking in to the timing cover so it throws the oil all over.

Quick Reply: loosing lots of oil!!!!!!!!